• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing mode affect on export

Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have forgotten or this is new. I have footage that is 1920x1080 59.67 fps. Also footage that is the same but 60fps.

Today I made a sequence differently than I usually do and when I add a clip to the sequence I am asked if the sequence settings should be made to conform to the clip.

So, now looking at other sequences, my main timeline sequence has editing mode 10 frames/second aside from other settings and another sequence has editing mode 60 frames/second.

For the 10 frames/second sequences, have I been making destructive edits to the clips by using 10 frames/second? Or does the editing mode matter if I export as 1920x1080 60fps?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sequence frame rate does matter.  All media will be played back at that frame rate, regardless of the media frame rate or export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confusing myself because of the wording. "sequence settings" is at least 3 different things. And, now that I am writing I notice the word "timebase" in "editing mode" I've found where it is explained clearly in the documentation

Settings

The editing mode does not determine the format of your final movie.

and

Timebase Specifies the time divisions Premiere Pro uses to calculate the time position of each edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure the sequence settings match the overall footage.

Then you will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The important thing I learned is that there are 3 things in "sequence settings": So, unless a preset is chosen it's hard for me to know what it would mean to match the settings.

Audio/Video settings don't include things like frame rate and format. Separately, if I've understood what I read, there is "editing mode" in terms of a "timebase". So, 10 fps timebase means the distance between edits would be 10 fps units of measure, in terms of what positions are displayed. This does not affect export at all.

Then there are preview settings, which is how video/audio is rendered for the people editing. It doesn't affect export if "match sequence settings" is checked when exporting media. I would think that should be the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag the 1920x1080 59.67 fps clip in the New Item icon at the bottom of the Project Window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"sequence settings" is at least 3 different things.

The things that matter here are resolution, frame rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.  Get those right for your media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main point I took from this scenario is that there is no option to change the frame rate of the resulting video, unless you select one of the presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you set the sequence settings to custom you can change the framerate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the point of the thread. See:

Settings

If you see something there that seems like I am not understanding, let me know.

Editing Mode Determines the following:

The video format used for preview files and playback
The timebases available
The compression methods which appear in the Video Settings panel
The display formats available.

and

Timebase specifies the time divisions Premiere Pro uses to calculate the time position of each edit.

The frame rate of the video you play back or export from sequences is not the same as its timebase.

So, editing mode determines the fineness of edits in terms of fps. In other words, if your source frame rate is 60fps and you set editing mode timebase to 10fps, the smallest selection you could make would be 6 frames in terms of the source frame rate.

If you set timebase to match the source frame rate, the smallest selection you could make would be 1 frame in terms of the source frame rate.

At 10fps, the timeline would show 10 increments per 1 second. But, if you select that 1 second range and export it, the source frame rate will remain 60fps.

So, "editing mode" is fineness of editing in terms of rames and "video previews" is the format used to preview video.

However, this is all with the "custom" editing mode chosen. If you use a preset, e.g. the preset format includes a frame rate and can limit what timebase you are allowed to select. For example selecting DV 24p editing mode prevents you from selecting a timebase other than 23.976 fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've realized that my last post starts with a typical speech pattern of mine that is problematic. So, I'm commenting just to clear up what I meant, in case another person is wondering about this issue, sees my comment and thinks I am saying the opposite of what I meant.

"This" refers to something that I am thinking of, but the reader is likely to not know what I was thinking of.

My assertion that the following statement is wrong:

"If you set the sequence settings to custom you can change the framerate."

And my initial confusion from assuming that that was the case, was the point of this thread.

A key point in the documentation quoted above is:

"The frame rate of the video you play back or export from sequences is not the same as its timebase."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're having difficulty with some pretty basic stuff.  I think you really need to get some video production basics under your belt, here.  And then read the full manual for the software.

Adobe Premiere Pro Learn & Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines