12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 1:11 PM by bryced87

Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic

bryced87 Level 1

I hope someone can answer these questions for me.

1. I have turned off the sync feature for my iphone inside of Classic CC. If I go to sync a collection to Lightroom CC it adds the collection to my photos folder on my computer when I already have them on my external which is setup through classic. How can I turn this off so that the collections synced to LR CC don't save a file on my computer. I don't need them to when I already have them saved to an external via Classic.

2. Same thing goes for reverse. If I import a photo into LR CC and sync the Album to Classic it then adds it in Classic but then saves said photo from collection to my external when I already have the photo backed up to the external through LR CC.

3. Is LR cc supposed to be an alternative to google photos, icloud photos etc or is it just supposed to be a temporary editing service on the go? If it's supposed to be temporary can i delete a photo I've edited in LR CC but keep the changes in classic and then manually save to my external? Right now it just saves every photo from LR CC to the same location twice even when I've turned off iphone sync in Classic.

• 1. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
          Neox99 Level 4

Lynda.com has entire courses on using every version of every Adobe product in existence.

Go to YouTube and look for Terry White and Julie Anne Kost videos. Both have numerous Lr videos there.

go to jkost.com where she has numerous videos.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
            bryced87 Level 1

as far as I know none of their courses address these issues

• 3. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
              Jim Wilde Adobe Community Professional

Confused by your comment about "turning off iphone sync in Classic"....it's not possible to sync to specific devices, you only ever sync to the Adobe Cloud (and that applies to all the LRCC apps as well). Having said that, here's how it all works:

1. There are several "cloud-centric" apps under the "Lightroom CC (LRCC)" banner, such as LRCC on the desktop, LRCC on phone/tablet, LRCC Web. These all operate in the same way...specifically every image that you add (import) to any of these apps will be uploaded as the full original to the cloud. From there, they will be available for download to the rest of the LRCC apps, and you have some control over whether you download the original or a smart preview (though thumbnails are always downloaded). Subsequent changes (edits, certain metadata) made using LRCC on any of the devices will sync via the cloud to the other devices. One point here is that you don't have to store the "LRCC on desktop" originals on the local system.

2. LR Classic is NOT an equal member of the cloud syncing. For a start, not all images added will automatically sync, the user has to decide what and how to sync them. When images are sync-enabled, only Smart Previews, not full originals, are uploaded. And while all edits made in Classic to synced images WILL sync to the LRCC apps, not all metadata does....notably keywords and location data do not sync between Classic and the cloud. One last point, if Sync is enabled in Classic, EVERY image that is added to the cloud from any of the LRCC apps will automatically be downloaded (full original) into Classic (and will be stored on you local system in the default location, though you can change that location using Classic Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab).

Hopefully, that should clear up some of your confusion, but from that you might need to think about how you use (or even IF you use) LRCC for desktop and LR Classic on the same system. I do, but in LRCC I have elected NOT to store a local copy of the cloud originals, so I don't end up with the sort of duplication you're concerned about. On my main system, Classic is my main app, so ALL my image assets eventually end up in the Classic catalog and file structure, and are backed up accordingly as they always have been. The main virtue of LRCC'c could storage (for me) is not so much that my files are backed up, but rather that they are available to me wherever I am on whatever device I have with me at the time.

Hope that helps.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
                bryced87 Level 1

I must be doing something wrong because if I create an album in LR CC it syncs to it's own collection in LR Classic. But inside of the lightroom mobile folder on my external it has the full quality .jpg image rather than a preview file. I know it's the full quality because if I go back to my Lightroom CC and look at the photo inside of CC's folder of original photos it's the same file size as the file in the Lightroom Mobile folder from Classic. So I'm stumped. I even have my iphone folder in classic turned off for sync so I know it's not syncing that. It's only syncing the collection.

• 5. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic

I'd like to help, but without some additional details I'm struggling. Clearly something is happening during syncing which you aren't expecting, but I'm not clear about what that is. IF you have added (i.e. imported) an image into any of the LRCC apps, then you should expect to see the full original download into Classic if the Classic catalog is sync enabled. Your post seems to imply you were expecting a preview, not the original file, to have downloaded into Classic.....but that's not what happens with original files in the cloud, they will always download as full originals into Classic.

Your last point I do not understand what you mean when you say you have your iphone folder in Classic turned off for sync. Folders in Classic cannot be synced, so do you mean a collection?

• 6. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
                    bryced87 Level 1

yes I meant a collection but I also have inside of classic an iphone folder which I disabled sync for which originally is what synced my iphone photos before the two apps were separated in their own.

The collection is what is synced via LR CC and Classic. If I sync a collection is that supposed to be full quality in classic or a preview? If it's supposed to be full quality then is there a way to disable classic from creating a full quality full in the lightroom mobile folder directory on my external since I have the originals already on the external via LR CC?

• 7. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic

bryced87  wrote

If I sync a collection is that supposed to be full quality in classic or a preview? If it's supposed to be full quality then is there a way to disable classic from creating a full quality full in the lightroom mobile folder directory on my external since I have the originals already on the external via LR CC?

It all depends where the images are first imported to. If you import into LRCC (any of the LRCC apps), the original file is uploaded to the cloud, and then down into Classic. There's nothing you can do to stop that apart from not syncing the LR Classic catalog. You CAN avoid having two copies of those originals on the local system by disabling the preference in LRCC to "store a copy of all originals locally", which is what I do.

If you import images first into LR Classic, then sync them from there, only Smart Previews will be uploaded to the cloud....so in that situation you have local originals in Classic, SPs in the cloud and in the LRCC apps.

So work out how you want to work and then set things up accordingly.

• 8. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
                        bryced87 Level 1

well I am just creating an album in LR CC and putting my DNG files in there and then in LR Classic it makes a collection with the same name as the album that's in LR CC but the full quality is sent to my external via LR Classic rather than previews.

• 9. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic

As I've already said, that's the way Classic is designed to work....if there's an original file in the cloud, and the Classic catalog is set to sync, that original will be downloaded by Classic into the appropriate place on your hard drive. You can't stop that happening if you have set Classic to sync, as there's not a "selective sync" capability.

• 10. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
                            bryced87 Level 1

There isn't a way to disable LR Classic saving the full quality on my hard drive?

• 11. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic

bryced87  wrote

There isn't a way to disable LR Classic saving the full quality on my hard drive?

That is correct, there isn't any way of doing that if you want Classic to sync with the cloud.

• 12. Re: Still confused by Lightroom CC and Classic
                                bryced87 Level 1

Ok thanks,

do you reccomend i still use another photo service like google photos to backup my lightroom edits? I can export them as .jpg

maybe LR CC and Classic Is enough?