3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2017 1:05 PM by davescm

3D Extruding Roundness

PeeShay

I keep having the issue of my objects looking perfectly fine and then when I go to "3D Extrusion" and pop out my design, it rounds edges and straight lines sometimes get rounded off and corners get rounded instead of being a hard edge. I'm not sure if there are settings I can change to make an EXACT extrusion of my piece rather than it auto tweaking edges and corners etc. I've went through all the settings I can imagine and about to lose hope with Photoshop 3D. PLEASE HELP!!!

In the attached picture, I show an example of what it's doing to a LOT of my items. Also you will notice that when I leave the little floating rectangle above the letter, it extrudes PERFECTLY how I want it. However I don't want the rectangle above the L so I erased it pre-extrusion and then it decides to round off the edge. Thanks for any help on this.L.PNG

• 1. Re: 3D Extruding Roundness
          davescm Adobe Community Professional

Can you describe exactly how you are making your shape.

To try and replicate the issue, I traced your shape with the pen tool to create a path

Then used 3D extrusion from Work Path

I don't see the issue you described :

Dave

• 2. Re: 3D Extruding Roundness
            PeeShay Level 1

I will try this, the L shape is simply a font I downloaded and I have been using that font to make 3D printed items but sometimes when I extrude logos or random shapes, it rounds edges like above rather than just simply extruding exactly what is there. Almost like it's trying to fix itself or something.

Typically I take a logo or shape and cut out all around it or take a PNG image and just "3D Extrude" layer and it seems to be a gamble whether it will work right or if it  will round and re-shape some parts of it. I have never used the "work path" like you mentioned above so maybe that is my problem. Will come back after i try it.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: 3D Extruding Roundness
              davescm Adobe Community Professional

Making a path often works best as you can keep the path nice and clean, which in turn leads to a clean extrusion.

Dave