• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you block a specific user from seeing product pages?

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a problem user who keeps buying products then stealing the copy (it's rather unique copy) to resell the products elsewhere. What I would like to do is block them from even seeing the product pages so they can't see the copy or even buy the products. Is this possible and if so, how? I have the user's email address and IP address already.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick thought. You could use Liquid with {{globals.user}} or {{globals.visitor}} to check for those values since you said you have both. Basically if {{globals.visitor.ip}} == Problem User's IP value then show a different page or content with a page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for responding so promptly and for the great advice. I'm not proficient in coding to begin with and it's been a while since I've done it but this is what I ended up with and it seems to work even though it's not pretty:

{% if globals.visitor.ip == "123.456.789.100" -%}

<script type="text/javascript">window.location.assign("/404");</script>

{% endif -%}

{% if globals.user.email == "NotReal@fictional.com" -%}

<script type="text/javascript">window.location.assign("/404");</script>

{% endif -%}

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people have a dynamic IP range so that can change making that a bit useless.

Logged in users you can just have conditions based on them. You could have a custom CRM field for customers, assign a status for certain users and if that user has that then you can block access.

In terms of logged in users you can drop a cookie for a certain use cases and if it sticks (not blocked) then you can read for that cookie with liquid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Liam, Thanks for the info!

If you know of a way to keep her from going through the guest checkout which doesn't require a sign in then I'd love to know it. That's where we are currently stuck at. Even if we block her IP and her email which she has used to create multiple accounts, we still can't stop her from going through the guest checkout. Any ideas? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines