Exit

Is CUDA render compatible with SLI?

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Specs:

Intel i7-2600k 3.4 GHz

Nvidia GTX 760 2GB SLI (2 cards both 2GB)

16 GB Ram

I am exporting a 9 min 46 sec project, footage originally 4k, in 1080p H.264, 24 fps, VBR Pass 1, through adobe media encoder. Originally, thinking that it would be faster to do so, I set my renderer to CUDA, therefore using my GPUs  to "accelerate" the rendering process. It was predicted to take about 6 hours to render. I stopped it and switched to Software Only and the render time is so much shorter. Knowing this, I am wondering if SLIs are compatible with CUDA rendering in premiere and/or adobe media encoder. Or are my GPUs bottle-necking the rendering process? Or both?

[Moderator note: moved to best forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your bottleneck is most likely your old CPU and the fact that you're working with H264 files which are CPU intensive.

Here's the link to another thread that answers your question:

Having Dual video cards or SLI in premiere CC will it make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, in the case of using two GPUs simultaneously (SLI or not), you do not add up the memory of the two cards. It just doesn't work out that way. In your case, it's more a matter of running out of graphics RAM in the middle of a rendering job, especially since in dual-GPU configurations, 2GB plus 2GB still equals 2GB and not 4GB because the other 2GB merely holds a copy of the first 2GB and is therefore inaccessible by programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines