3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2008 12:52 PM by AT&T_Trainer

Cannot record Full Motion slides EVER

AT&T_Trainer
      I recently upgraded to v.3 from 2 since I thought this would take care of the bugs that plagued my Captivate 2 experience. While they were annoying, I could still work around those issues comfortably and get my work accomplished.

However after upgrading to v.3, I have not only been seeing the same bugs as before, but now I am encountering a whole series of new issues. My biggest problem is that I can't get Captivate to do FMR, ever:
      - It won't record full motion slides when I scroll a web page or drag and drop something.
      - It won't do it during demo mode even if I force it with F9 and F10 (I only end up with regular slide captures where the full motion slides should be).
      - If I put Captivate in Full Motion Recording mode, it records a single plain slide, regardless of how long I ran the capture session for.

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I am not having the best luck with your tech support helpdesk (long hold times and dropped calls). We use Captivate exclusively for our course development and getting this feature to work is crucial to us. If I can't get this fixed - any way I can get a downgrade back to v.2?

Thanks,
      Daniel
        • 1. Re: Cannot record Full Motion slides EVER
          AT&T_Trainer Level 1
          All, I have discovered the last Captivate update (which is causing caption text formatting issues) is also responsible for my issue with Full Motion Recording. I did not notice this at first since Captivate updated almost immediately after my first reinstall so I continued to observe the issue. The only solution I have found is to reinstall the software and then delete the AdobeUpdater.dll library file in the Captivate directory in the Program Files folder, which forcibly disables the Adobe Updater - I haven't found any other way to do this.

It's kind of frustrating since I will need to watch out for the next update that will fix what was broken in the last one and once that is out, reinstall the software to add back the updater. I share the frustration that I see from many of the users here - most of the "solutions" to Captivate issues that I read on this forum are no more than hacks, and I wish that the software could just work properly - that way, I wouldn't need to "fix" my issue with the latest update through a hack like reinstalling and deleting the updater library.

Adobe, during future product design, please consider that maybe your users would like the ability to disable updating when you push out updates that break your own products.
          • 2. Re: Cannot record Full Motion slides EVER
            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            Hi Daniel

Please consider reporting this as a bug to Adobe. You do this via the Wish Form.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick
            • 3. Re: Cannot record Full Motion slides EVER
              AT&T_Trainer Level 1
              Rick, I've already expended an unreasonable amount of time and energy troubleshooting an issue that turned out to be caused by an Adobe update, so you'll understand if I don't want to waste any more of this business day submitting a report on a bug that should've been caught in QA by a PAID tester.

Consider my initial post to be my first and only bug report on this issue. Adobe should be responsive enough to scan its own forums for possible issues, particularly when they know that they put out a faulty update that is causing issues.