This content has been marked as final. Show 11 replies
Welcome to the forum.
Where is the webhelp being run from? If it is from a local drive, did you generate with Mark of the Web ticked in the wizard?
Wow ! Thanks Peter - checking mark of the Web restored the normal search response - a bit surprising since it had not been marked before this and had been generating search just fine until yesterday (my excuse for not thinking it would make a difference to check it) and yes I am running the program from a local drive
Thank you so much - this was becoming a real headache
When you ran the help without that mark, a yellow bar must have appeared across the top of the help. Had you clicked that, you would also have been able to search.
Peter - after working fine for the last few days the problem has reappeared - when the output file is viewed in IE6 but not in Firefox 3 (where is works fine) - the search generates a list from a word but none of the links are active - I've only modified content and the settings for compiling have not been changed (Mark of the Web checked) - also I have turned off all the security features in IE in Internet Options but it still doesn't generate live links in the search
I'd appreciate any further ideas
Is that yellow bar appearing?
Does it work OK in IE7?
viewing output in IE7 is the same as in IE6 - search list populates but no linking - in both, underlines and hover works on the indiidual items - but clicking results in no further action - the topic pane remains blank
no yellow bar appears in either IE version
thanks again for your efforts re this
Create a test project with just a couple of topics and put them in the TOC. Generate to your hard disk using MoW. What result?
Peter - really good idea - test project worked fine so I started thinking the problem was somewhere in the files I brought into RH7 from RH6 - I bit the bullet and transferred all the htm files to a new project - I had been reluctant because I now have 351 topics and lots of images etc. - but RH7 handled that pretty well and it went faster than I had thought it would ...
Everything seems normal now (see my other post re seach in FireFox defaulting to a linked book page - that apparently is still normal)
So I don't know what was wrong or how to fix it but I am now back in business thanks to your suggestion
If it is working, don't ask.
Whenever anything is not working as it should, attempting to recreate the problem in a clean project should be the first step. If it recurs, it should be easier to find the cause, if it doesn't you know it is your project rather than the application.
This may be a resolved topic, but I found it today when searching for a solution to the same problem. In my case the problem was not caused by (and not solved by) the Mark of the Web checkbox: instead, it was, I believe, an apostrophe in a directory name in the path to the output files. I moved the files to another network location that did not have the apostrophe in the directory name and the search results linked correctly.
If the problem was a directory name, I'm surprised that everything but the search feature worked okay, then again I've heard that bad characters can have unpredictable effects.
Before anyone scolds me for bad folder naming habits, it wasn't me. It's a network drive named by someone else and shared by the writers. I avoid any punctuation in file and folder names other than hyphens and underscores.
That's what I would have suggested, but I was tied up yestrday.
I would add that you will have problems like this if the filenames have any unusual characters or spaces -- not just the directory path.