13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 2:45 PM by stenney

Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage

jennied17899603 Level 1

I'm running CC on a 12" MacBook that runs High Sierra. The Adobe CEF Helper process (basically, the Creative Cloud menu bar app) constantly shows in excess of 10% CPU usage when absolutely nothing is happening that is CC-related. This is ruining the Macbook's battery life. Can something be done? I've tried quitting and restarting it, and rebooting the MAC, but it always consumes this high CPU straight away. If I quit the menu bar app, can I still successfully use all the CC apps (I'm on the Photography plan)?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

unsync fonts and unsync files.

restart your computer

is cef still causing a problem?

• 2. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
            jennied17899603 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m afraid the situation remains. In fact, it’s a combination of cef helper and the Creative Cloud process that usually consume more than 10% of the Macbook's CPU. On my iMac (which, of course, has a much more powerful processor), they still consume around 6%, which is pretty bad for something that's sitting there doing nothing. I'm starting to think this is "normal" for CC, but I think it's unacceptable, especially for a laptop. Can you see what the combination of those 2 processes uses on your machine(s)?

And do you know whether the menu bar app has to be running in order to use Lightroom (classic and the new one), including syncing to the cloud?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage

i’ll check my macbook later.  but ican tell u now you only need to use your cc app at most once per month.

• 4. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
                jennied17899603 Level 1

Thank you. It will be interesting to compare. So Lightroom (both of them) will remain logged in and will be able to sync even if the cc app isn’t running?

• 5. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage

no, you can't sync without the app running.

my cef helper is using less than 2-3% cpu (about the same as activity monitor).

• 6. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
                    jennied17899603 Level 1

What about the Creative Cloud process? How much is that using? What model of laptop are you using?

Interestingly, I turned off open at login, rebooted, and was still able to sync using Lightroom CC.

Thanks for your continued help.

• 8. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
                      jennied17899603 Level 1

The combination of cef helper and the Creative Cloud process (both of which quit when you quit the menu bar app) are using 3.9% on your system, which will be the highest user of “idle” cpu. May I ask what model of Mac this is? Obviously, my 12” MacBook has a much less powerful cpu than my iMac. The MacBook averages 10% across those 2 processes, the 5 year old iMac a bit over 5%. In both cases, the highest use of idle cpu.

• 9. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage

i have a  2015 macbook pro 13” i7 3.1ghz 16gb ram 512gb ssd.

p.s.  i haven’t restarted it in a few mo’s so it might run more efficiently with a restart, but i’m not seeing any problems.  have u restarted recently?

1 person found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
                          jennied17899603 Level 1

Yes, I’ve restarted. The difference is in your cpu. Much more powerful than the MacBook, and also my iMac. You will see a lot less percentage being used than me. I think the amount of cpu used when idle like this is very unreasonable, especially when using a low power cpu like the MacBook has. Under the Energy tab of Acivity Monitor, if I sort by the Energy Impact column, the 2 processes are always at the top.

• 11. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
                            pleasecomeagain

I have a similar problem. I play the game Heroes of the Storm and it occasionally lags recently. I had no idea why, so I started closing different apps to check for differences.

I've found out that when I close the Creative Cloud from task manager, then the game works fine.

This is weird because it showed that it takes 2% of CPU power, but I guess it may be spiking up occasionally or something.

Why would this application need so much power? Any way to fix that? Is it syncing something all the time?

1 person found this helpful
                            • 12. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
                              peterd42872617 Level 1

I recently tried the XD application from Adobe on a brand new Surface Book 2 and immediately went from a 10+ hr battery life to 4 hrs. On windows machines one of the chief services causing the issue is the AGCInvokerService so I assume this is trying to do the same thing as the Mac CEF Helper. Which quite frankly (as far as I can tell) is shady as all hell.

The reason I say this is because I un-installed XD and creative cloud when I got the battery drain issues and yet these services still remained behind eating battery just as quickly with no creative cloud running or even installed. Firstly the only reason for them to remain is if they are not part of the main install and so not part of the un-install. So the obvious question (that no-one at adobe seems to want to answer) is what the hell are these services actually doing then. They clearly are not part of Photoshop, XD or any other Adobe program. They are not part of the CC install either as un-installing CC didn't remove them. They don't interact with them and they don't even seem to provide any actual services to them. Proof of this seems to be that a lot of these services and programs can be nuked without ANY impact to Photoshop or CC.

The only conclusion myself and a colleague (also a software engineer) could think of is that they are system monitors of some kind and this is why they are constantly sending or collecting information and using CPU even when nothing else Adobe related is running.

It's sad really because I like Photoshop and a lot of the Adobe apps but, if I can't trust the company not to screw up my system when I install their programs then I have no choice but to switch to something that works as intended like affinity designer!

Seriously! What the heck is Adobe doing. If they just wanted to check for genuine software usage then all they need do is force a license verification every few weeks like the DRM on a video. At no point does there ever need to be a service constantly doing "something" in the background at all times even when a machine is supposed to be in sleep mode. The last part is the part that just rings alarm bells for me as a software engineer!

5 people found this helpful
                              • 13. Re: Adobe CEF Helper unreasonable background CPU usage
                                stenney

Interesting -- I always have activity monitor open and for the first time I saw Adobe CEF Helper jump to 90% (9% "overall" CPU usage), which is stupid high for a background process.  Which brought me to this forum... After about 2 minutes it dropped back down.  That said, looking at your screenshot above, that usage still seems unreasonably high for a background process.

After 2 minutes it dropped down to normal usage, 0.1%.  All my Adobe processes...2018-04-05_17-44-35.jpeg