Better Workflow for RAW Image Editing?

Hildabeast Level 1

This is my workflow:

• Open the Canon .CR2 file in Adobe Camera Raw
      • Make my adjustments to each file individually
      • Open in Photoshop
      • File >Save as .jpg
      • Adjust .jpg resolution

Needless to say, this can get tedious with a hundred or so files.  Even though I try to group the shots so as to use the previous conversion, I still have to go through the entire save as routine.  I want to save every file as a high quality .jpg, not have to go through the entire process every time.

• 1. Re: Better Workflow for RAW Image Editing?
          cmgap Adobe Community Professional

Are you not using Lightroom? Are you using Photoshop CC?

• 2. Re: Better Workflow for RAW Image Editing?
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, this is a Lightroom job. Adjust the images - synchronized if you like - then export as jpeg to whatever pixel dimensions you set in the Export dialog.

• 3. Re: Better Workflow for RAW Image Editing?
              Stephen_A_Marsh Adobe Community Professional

Sure, ACR can do all of this and more using the Save Image/s Options (see screenshot below)…

ACR.jpg

• 4. Re: Better Workflow for RAW Image Editing?
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Do you include Bridge in your workflow?  It's a must if you want to speed things up.  I open up files with similar conditions at the same time and sync them in ACR, or sometimes I'll use the Previous Settings option.  I also copy and paste settings.  In Photoshop I have an action that:

1. Copies the background layer
                2. Applies High Pass Filter
                3. Sets that layer to Overlay
                4. Flattens the layers
                5. Saves

Step #4 needs to be 'Flatten' and not merged as it removes information that might make the image try to save as a PSD.  It will always save as JPG after Flatten has been used.

Step #5 will start the save process, but you need to finish it manually.  I use Shift F4 to trigger this action, and have this and other custom shortcuts saved with my multi monitor workspace.  I just switch to Essentials if I need default shortcuts that I have 'borrowed'.  You can run an action from Image Processor if you want to batch process a lot of files, but I prefer to give each file at least a brief look at.

I believe that a few of this forum's regular posters don't use Lightroom.  I have tried it several times, and even paid for it before CC, but I don't like its UI, and I like to have the files open in Photoshop just in case the sharpen action is not enough.  For instance I can step back though History and change the blend mode to hard light instead of Overlay.  I would never go as far as Vivid Light.