7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2008 10:44 AM by Newsgroup_User

Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!

RICH POW Level 1
      My script below works nicely to a single url.

http://www.adelantedesign.co.uk/websites/adelante/index.asp

Can you tell me what I need to change to allow me to link to another URL from a new button on the next scene of my movie?

function gotoPage(event:MouseEvent):void
      {
      var targetURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest(" http://www.adelantedesign.co.uk/websites/adelante/Packaging/Packaging_Samples01.asp?panel= 1");
      navigateToURL(targetURL, "_parent");
      }
      packagingLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoPage);

Thanks,
      Rich
        • 1. Re: Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!
          Level 7
          Rich,

> Can you tell me what I need to change to allow me to link to
          > another URL from a new button on the next scene of my movie?

Make sure the new button in the next scene has an instance name. (In
          your previous post, the instance name was packagingLink.) Add a keyframe
          your scripts layer that matches the same frame number as your new button,
          then paste the same code ... only, change the instance name of your button
          and the URL.

function gotoPage(event:MouseEvent):void {
          var targetURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest("new URL here");
          }
          newInstanceNameHere.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoPage);

Do this often enough, and you'll begin to see how redundant it gets. As
          you get more experienced, you'll want to look into re-using your functions
          to consolidate, but copy/paste with a bit of editing will do it for now. :)

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!
            RICH POW Level 1
            I get this error: 1021: Duplicate function definition.
            • 3. Re: Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!
              Level 7
              Rich,

> I get this error: 1021: Duplicate function definition.

Ah, that means AS3 treats scenes differently. That's good to know.
              Sorry about the confusion.

You have two approaches, then. The error you're seeing is because AS3
              doesn't allow more than one variable, function, etc. declared in the same
              scope, and it looks like scenes have the same scope now (they're in the same
              timeline, presumably). Think of scope as a point of view. It's a special
              compartment in which code executes. Movie clips have their own scopes,
              partly because movie clip symbols have their own independent timelines (any
              frame of which can hold ActionScript). It used to be that scenes were
              separate too.

Quick analogy: I may have a dog named Finnegan who lives in my house.
              From the point of view of my household -- in the Stiller scope, so to
              speak -- I can refer to my dog as "Finnegan" and everything works. If my
              neighbor also has a dog named Finnegan, and if I'm talking about my
              neighbor's dog, then I have to refer to that one as "Joe's Finnegan" to
              distinguish the reference from my own pet. I certainly can't have *two*
              dogs named Finnegan -- not in the same house -- because it would quickly get
              confusing which dog I meant by that name.

In this case, Flash is confused because you're feeding it two function
              definitions with the same name (that's my fault, of course). Solution One
              is to simply rename the second (and subsequent) occurrences of your
              function:

function gotoPage2(event:MouseEvent):void {
              var targetURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest("URL 2");
              }
              buttonTwo.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoPage2);

function gotoPage3(event:MouseEvent):void {
              var targetURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest("URL 3");
              }
              buttonThree.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoPage3);

... which leads to the redundancy I mentioned earlier. If you have a dozen
              of these, it's a headache to revise in the future. Solution Two involves
              writing the function once only, then referring back to the same function
              with each button.

This can be done with something called parameters, which are pieces of
              information you feed into a function. In the case of gotoAndPlay(), for
              example, you can feed in (in fact, you must feed in) a number:

gotoAndPlay(15);

... which tells Flash *where* to goto and play. Here, you could write your
              gotoPage() function to accept its own sort of "where" parameter.

function gotoPage(url:String):void {
              var targetURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url);
              }

... in which case, you could call this function with any number of CLICK
              event handlers:

buttonOne.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickHandler1);
              function clickHandler1(event:MouseEvent):void {
              gotoPage(" http://www.adobe.com/");
              }

buttonTwo.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickHandler2);
              function clickHandler2(event:MouseEvent):void {
              gotoPage(" http://www.googlecom/");
              }

buttonThree.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickHandler3);
              function clickHandler3(event:MouseEvent):void {
              gotoPage(" http://www.friendsofed.com/");
              }

But if you think about it, that hasn't shifted the redundancy issue all
              that much: you still have a series of intermediary functions,
              clickHandler1(), clickHandler2(), and clickHandler3(). To get around that,
              you could use an instance of the Dictionary class and make a quick list of
              the operative information:

function gotoPage(event:MouseEvent):void {
              var targetURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest(urlList[event.target]);
              }

var urlList:Dictionary = new Dictionary();
              urlList[buttonOne] = " http://www.adobe.com/";
              urlList[buttonTwo] = " http://www.google.com/";
              urlList[buttonThree] = " http://www.friendsofed.com/";

buttonOne.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoPage);
              buttonTwo.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoPage);
              buttonThree.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoPage);

In this case, the gotoPage() function shifts nearly back to its original
              format. Yes, it still receives a parameter -- just as it always did -- but
              this time, the parameter is something that gets passed in automatically, by
              virtue of its being an event handler. What it receives, instead of an
              arbitrary URL or frame number, is an instance of the MouseEvent class, which
              in this case is an object representation of the mouse click that occurs on
              the button in question.

The difference is that here, the expression inside the new URLRequest()
              expression has changed. It's not a hard-coded URL, as before. This time,
              it's the expression urlList[event.target]. What does that mean? The word
              "event" in that expression refers to the incoming "event" parameter, which
              is typed as a MouseEvent instance. That makes perfect sense, because that's
              what it *is.* It's the mouse click ... represented as an object, and it's
              variable name, just by coincidence, is "event" (could just as easily be
              "pizzaHead"). The "target" part after the "event" parameter reference is a
              property of the MouseEvent class. This variable, "event", features all the
              functionality spelled out in the MouseEvent class listing of the Help docs.
              One of the characteristics of a MouseEvent object is a property called
              target, which points to the object that dispatched this event in the first
              place; namely, whatever button was clicked.

The "urlList" part refers to the Dictionary instance. So let's say
              buttonOne was clicked. In that case, the expression urlList[event.target]
              refers to the buttonOne entry in the urlList dictionary. Consulting your
              dictionary, you see that the value of the buttonOne entry is Adobe's URL.
              Bingo. So, back in the gotoPage() function, Adobe's URL gets passed into
              the new URLRequest() expression, which creates a URLRequest instance, and
              that instance (in turn) gets passed as a parameter to the navigateToURL()
              function.

Again, the choice is yours. You might find it easier to just rename the
              second occurrence of gotoPage() to gotoPage2().

David Stiller
              Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
              http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj

• 4. Re: Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!
                RICH POW Level 1
                don't worry, found it. Boy this is difficult stuff for the no code type.

I wish there where a few really basic functions that the poor old designer like me code use.

How do I stop the time line and how do I go to the next frame on click! Off to trawl the forums AGAIN!

Thanks fr your help.
                • 5. Re: Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!
                  RICH POW Level 1
                  David,
                  Fantastic stuff, a real insight!

Incidentally there's a pub round the corner called Finnegans' I'll be off there if I ever get this finished.

I need one thing:
                  At the end of my movie I have lengthened the timeline which will start at there beginning after 10secs but there is a to 'Play it Again' button I want to go back to frame one...not much to ask is it?

Rich
                  • 6. Re: Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!
                    RICH POW Level 1
                    Found it, done, Pub here I come!

PlayAgain.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickFunction);

function clickFunction(evt:MouseEvent):void {
                    gotoAndPlay(5, "Corporate");
                    }
                    • 7. Re: Basic getURL AS3 AGAIN!
                      Level 7
                      Rich,

> Found it, done, Pub here I come!
                      >
                      > PlayAgain.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickFunction);
                      >
                      > function clickFunction(evt:MouseEvent):void {
                      > gotoAndPlay(5, "Corporate");
                      > }

Bingo! And that wasn't so hard, eh? Glad you nailed it. :)

David Stiller
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/