3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2008 9:32 AM by Shandy Elliott

Masking a Button Movieclip?

gbowhall
      Hello all:

I am having some difficulty triggering a onRollover command on a Movieclip. From my testing it seems to work fine until I put its layer underneath a Masking layer I have set up.

Here is what I am using to trigger the Movieclip:
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      _level0.gridMap.part1.onRollOver = function () {
      trace ("onRollOver called");
      };
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      It works fine when I place the movieclip within another movieclip, but does not work when I place it under a Masking layer.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you for your help!
      - Garrett
        • 1. Re: Masking a Button Movieclip?
          Shandy Elliott Level 1
          I tried to recreate your situation using the instance names you used. I have one layer using a mask layer over it, and also tested by using action script to mask the layer below. Both cases work for me.

look at my example here

Am I reading your issue wrong?
          • 2. Re: Masking a Button Movieclip?
            gbowhall Level 1
            Thank you for your help. After going through your file, I went back to take a look at mine and realized that I had a onRollOver action applied to the mask (which negated the rollover applied to the button underneath). Now I am just trying to figure out a work-around for that ... I have been looking into the hitTest method, however the problem that I seem to be grappling with is that I need the parent rollover to have both a rollover and an onpress state, then I also need the child rollover to have both a rollover and an onpress state. Do you happen to have an idea for that?

Thanks for your help!
            - Garrett
            • 3. Re: Masking a Button Movieclip?
              Shandy Elliott Level 1
              can you upload or email me the flash file? I'm more visual than grasping what you are saying, plus, it all depends on how you have things layed out and structured.