2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2018 9:12 AM by RjL190365

Suggested Laptop for Video Editing

jaked777

I received an Acer Swift 3 with an i5 processer and 8gb of RAM at Christmas.  While editing in Premiere, the preview is lagging quite a bit and I have tried to make small animations in After Effects and it was projecting that it would take four hours to render about a 10 second clip.  I'm considering returning the Acer to get a laptop that can handle Adobe Premiere.  I am currently looking at a Dell New Inspiron 15 5000 with  an i7 processor and 16gb of Ram.  The Dell Inspiron is about $800 and that's the most I can spend.  Is there anything else within that price range that would work better?  

Thanks for any input!

• 1. Re: Suggested Laptop for Video Editing
          RameezKhan Adobe Employee

Hey jaked777,

I have moved your thread to the hardware forum for better suggestions.

Thanks,

Rameez

• 2. Re: Suggested Laptop for Video Editing
            RjL190365 Level 4

I would not recommend that Inspiron 15 5000 Touch (the model that you're considering) for video editing: Despite the CPU having the "i7" branding, it is actually only a lousy, gimped low-power "7th-generation" Kaby Lake (not the newer "8th generation" Refresh version) i7-7500U mobile CPU that has only two physical CPU cores (and only four processing threads) - just like the i5-7200U that's in your Acer. And although that Inspiron 15 1500 Touch comes with an OpenCL-capable AMD Radeon R7 M445 discrete GPU, it does not support CUDA at all (well, no non-Nvidia GPU does). Unfortunately, that particular Radeon GPU is an old and outdated design, dating all the way back to 2011. Furthermore, Dell does not offer an Inspiron 15 5000 Touch with an SSD: You'd have to settle for a lousy-performing 5400 RPM hard drive as your only drive choice in that model laptop. So if you want an SSD in an Inspiron 15 5000 series laptop, you'd have to either drop down to a non-Touch configuration with 8GB of RAM (Dell will no longer let you customize a given Inspiron 15 5000 configuration with more RAM factory installed; instead, you'll now have to purchase additional or replacement RAM separately) and only integrated Intel HD Graphics 620, or splurge for the Gaming version of that laptop (which costs $1,100 - way above your stated price limit - but it comes with a 4-core, 8-thread i7-7700HQ CPU and a CUDA-capable Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 GPU with 4GB of GDDR5 RAM).

The deal breaker for the Inspiron 15 5000 as an editing laptop is that it does not offer a true quad-core CPU at all whatsoever even as an option.