9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2018 1:22 AM by maartenvanthiel

Orient to path in Animate CC

maartenvanthiel

Hi all;

I cannot find out how Flash's Orient to path now functions in Animate CC. I just want to draw a path and an object, and let that object follow the path.

Thanks,

Maarten

• 1. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It works the same as it has before. For example:

1. Draw a line

2. Set that layer to be Guide

3. Add a layer, drag the layer below the Guide layer

4. In the new layer draw something and make it be a symbol

5. Add a frame in the Guide layer and a key frame in the symbol layer

6. Create Classic Tween in the symbol layer

7. In the first frame drag the symbol to snap to the start of the line and in the last frame drag it to snap to the end of the line

8. Click in the classic tween in the timeline

The Properties should now show an Orient to path check box.

• 2. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC
            maartenvanthiel Level 1

Thank you Colin. Since I use Animate in a Dutch version, I got mixed up. Still there is something I dont understand. 5: where? Maybe because I do that wrong, at 6 I get Classic Tween greyed out.

Maarten

• 3. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC

Here's a video that's in neither English or Dutch:

Adobe Flash Orient to Path for Guide Layers - YouTube

It's interesting to watch his use case, but the relevant part is at about 48 seconds, where he adds a later frame to the layer with the curve in it. As he added that frame before making the second layer, the new layer also has that many frames, and so he adds the keyframe later in the video.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC
                maartenvanthiel Level 1

Thanks again Colin.

I already had found a Youtube that explains it, although as in so many cases here are some ambiguities in it. F.e. he says Right click frame 1, meaning Rightclick there where the layer name is. Or Rightclick frame 1 without adding that you should now use the other layer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yb30CZNT_0

Anyway things are solved.

Thanks

Maarten

• 5. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC
                  maartenvanthiel Level 1

I have been working with orienting symbols to paths now, also using symbols from Illustrator. Everything works fine. What I cannot get working is orienting a symbol to a path that came from AI, f.e. a spiral. The symbol snaps nicely to the beginning and to the end of the path, but then runs in a straight line from one tot the other. I found some information on 'Import paths as' > 'ditable paths' but that option is not shown in the import panel.

Thanks for any help,

Maarten

• 6. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC

It does work, but make sure you have dragged the symbol layer to be indented under the guide layer.

• 7. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC
                      maartenvanthiel Level 1

I shall explain how I work and what happens, Colin.

New file, create object, make symbol / graphic.

Click at frame 30, right click, insert keyframe.

Right click on layer name (Layer_1) and choose Add classic movement guide (or whatever that is in English).

I now have layer Guide on top, and under that, indented, Layer_1.

I select the guide layer, and I import an AI path into Working area. I now have, from top to botttom, Layer 1, Guide, Layer_1 (indented).

I put Layer 1 (with the path) under the guide layer. It indents.

I select the symbol layer (Layer_1) and move the symbol to the beginning of the path. It snaps.

I select frame 30 in the symbol layer and move the symbol to the end of the path.

I right click at frame 1 of the symbol layer and choose Make classic tween.

The symbol jumps away from the path to its original position. I click Play and it moves in a straight line to the beginning point of the path.

I choose frame 1 of the symbol layer, put the symbol at the end point of the path, now it will move from there to the beginning point, in a straight line.

What am I doing wrong?
                      Thanks,

Maarten

• 8. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC

You'll find that you can copy and paste the spiral from Illustrator, but that doesn't affect what will work.

The path layer is the one that needs to be the Guide layer. You should only have two layers if you have the spiral as a guide layer and the indented symbol that will follow the spiral.

If you also want people to see the spiral, duplicate the spiral layer and drag the duplicate to be the bottom layer, and make sure that copy is neither Guide or indented. Only the path should be Guide, and only the symbol should be indented.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Orient to path in Animate CC
                          maartenvanthiel Level 1

I managed to make it work Colin.

When placing, importing, the AI spiral path, this produces a new layer. I copied the path on that new layer and pasted it in the guide layer. Deleted the new layer. Attached the symbol to the beginning and at frame 30 at the end of the spiral et cetera.

Thanks again,

Maarten