1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 29, 2008 1:44 PM by Newsgroup_User

web development questions...

r_tist Level 1
      Hi,

I was reading and trying to grasp the big picture when it comes to web development, or rather, the foundational construction of a site lately. Please help by answering these questions.

1. Is it safe to say that most people are staying away from tables these days and completely developing via CSS?

2. Do you create all your content containers (or CSS boxes) as DIVS? Is this the new substitute for actual tables?

3. Are you defining the body via CSS almost immediately and considering that the most important, base style, should we say?

4. How is SSI playing a role with your menus? Are you only using SSI for your menus or other items, like the footer and/or header?

-- Also, if you could share the initial steps you take when setting up a webpage in DW, tying into the topics listed above. I'm looking for a systematic approach.

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: web development questions...
          Level 7
          > 1. Is it safe to say that most people are staying away from tables these
          > days
          > and completely developing via CSS?

No. But many are, especially those who are concerned about a) page load
          time, b) accessability, c) ease of maintenance, d) SEO, and other relevant
          web development topics.

> 2. Do you create all your content containers (or CSS boxes) as DIVS? Is
          > this
          > the new substitute for actual tables?

No, but when you need a multiple items within a single container for
          placement purposes, or for inheritance purposes, a div works nicely. Is it
          the new substitute for tables? There is no substitute for tables when used
          with tabular data. But tables used for layout purposes have a number of
          downsides which CSS layout solves.

http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/everything.html

> 3. Are you defining the body via CSS almost immediately and considering
          > that
          > the most important, base style, should we say?

My stylesheets always begin like this -

body {
          font-size:100%;
          font-family:calibri,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; /* or whatever family I
          choose to use */
          color:#000;
          margin:0;
          padding:0;
          }
          html, body {
          min-height:100%;
          margin-bottom:1px;
          }
          #wrapper {
          text-align:left;
          width:760px; /* or whatever width I choose to use */
          margin:0 auto;
          }

> 4. How is SSI playing a role with your menus? Are you only using SSI for
          > your
          > menus or other items, like the footer and/or header?

Yes - only SSI for that as well as for other navigation elements.

First, I mentally separate the page layout into three sections:

1. Stuff that will not change for the life of the site (i.e., the basic
          structural elements)
          2. Stuff that *could* change from time to time (e.g., navigation elements,
          burst advertisements, section-specific navigation, etc.)
          3. Stuff that *will* change from one page to the next

Then I create a template containing all class1 elements. Next I create
          server-side include files containing all class 2 elements and place them on
          the template as needed. Note - some of the class 2 elements may be
          "section-specific elements", and their placement on the template will be
          subject to the next item. Finally, I insert editable regions to cover the
          class 3 items, INCLUDING the section-specific navigation.

This allows me to just cookie-cut the rest of the site. I estimate that
          even for fairly large sites, about 80% of my work goes into planning and
          creating this template file.

-
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"r_tist" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gjbfei$qs8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > I was reading and trying to grasp the big picture when it comes to web
          > development, or rather, the foundational construction of a site lately.
          > Please
          > help by answering these questions.
          >
          > 1. Is it safe to say that most people are staying away from tables these
          > days
          > and completely developing via CSS?
          >
          > 2. Do you create all your content containers (or CSS boxes) as DIVS? Is
          > this
          > the new substitute for actual tables?
          >
          > 3. Are you defining the body via CSS almost immediately and considering
          > that
          > the most important, base style, should we say?
          >
          > 4. How is SSI playing a role with your menus? Are you only using SSI for
          > your
          > menus or other items, like the footer and/or header?
          >
          > -- Also, if you could share the initial steps you take when setting up a
          > webpage in DW, tying into the topics listed above. I'm looking for a
          > systematic
          > approach.
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          >