• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to sync subtitle timeline with video timeline?

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original subtitle file are .srt, i am using subtitle edit to convert them to adobe ntsc .txt for import into encore.  But they are not synced properly.  How do I sync these?  When I originally import the subtitle file into encore it has an exclamation point on the timeline, i right click that and get and option to "fix the gaps" which I do but the sync is still off.

Is it framerate?  the original video is 30fps, subtitle edit tells me the default fps for the subtitle files is 23.975 and the output files from encore are 29.975 for DVD and 59.975 for Blu-ray.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you checked the settings in Subtitle Edit?

With it set to 23.976fps (which is progressive scan) then all your timecodes are going to be totally off when the resulting script is put to a 29.97fps file - you need to set Subtitle Edit to the same framerate as the file you are using.

If the title is brought into a 29.97fos DVD then you could well have a problem here as the title will end too early - and the sync issue will get worse & worse as you go further into the timeline simply because once a 24fps script is imported into a 29.97 fps clip then everything gets more & more off sync. As an example, timecode in 24fps might read as follows:

00:02:29:21

The same place in the project referenced to 29.97 timecode will read instead as

00:02:29:27

This is a difference of 6 frames (or a quarter of a minute) at just 3 minutes into the project. By the time we get to an hour into the project the difference becomes as follows:

24fps = 00:59:14:08

29.97fps = 00:59:10:24

Similarly, a timecode of 01:00:00:00 in 29.97fps becomes 01:00:03:14 in 24fps so 3 whole seconds out at the 1 hour point.

It is absolutely critical that all timecodes are the same throughout the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines