3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2018 10:50 AM by gfr92y

Creating PDF files that allow me to copy text content

gfr92y

After performing a clean install of Windows 7 Professional and re-installation of Acrobat 11, I lost the ability to highlight and copy text using [Ctrl][c].

As a matter of fact, I can not longer highlight the text.

The PDF files of interest are Saved to PDF files using Chrome's printing feature.

I tried the following method without success.

I am working on my son and daughter's financial aid filing and I am about to pull my hair out.

Any assistance would be immensely appreciated!

Sincerely,

Joe

7. Re: Copy highlighted text 

warbyparker7  Level 1

warbyparker7  Mar 21, 2013 2:10 PM  (in response to robertslater) 

If you go to Adobe Preferences, under commenting, check the box that says "Copy selected text into Highlight, Cross-Out, and Underline comment pop-ups". By doing so, next time you click on highlighted box, the pop up will come up with the same text inside - right clicking, etc, will allow you to copy that text.

• 1. Re: Creating PDF files that allow me to copy text content
          gfr92y Level 1

I thought I identified the source of the problem!

When I save a document as a PDF from MS Word 2013, I can highlight the text. However, when I save a document as a PDF as a print option from Gmail or a Chrome or IE browser, I get these large swipes of stuff instead of highlighted text.

In a moment, I will post a good example from MS Word 2013 and a failed example from Gmail.

I should add that for years I have been able to highlight and copy text from PDF files produced by the same method above including as recently as before my clean install of Windows 7 Pro and re-installation of Acrobat XI.

Again, I am in dire need of ridding myself of my workaround albatross.

Thanks!

Joe

• 3. Re: Creating PDF files that allow me to copy text content
            gfr92y Level 1

I solved the problem!

The phenomena I was experiencing was the result of PRINT TO THE ADOBE PDF CONVERTER.

The desired outcome and the outcome I experienced in the past, which is demonstrated by the second image above, resulted from SAVE AS PDF.

Sorry for the unnecessary inconvenience. The only hope that this question assists someone else who makes the same mistake I did.

Joe