8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2018 3:15 PM by Koolbreeze

Layers in Photoshop

Koolbreeze Level 1

Hello to everyone  , I am just returning to Photoshop after a very long time off and I have to start all over again so please pardon the " stupid" questions that I might be asking all over again. But also please remember that I am  a novice at Photoshop.

Question : When I put a photo in Photoshop  it goes on the background layer ,  and when I add a second photo it erases the first clip and it goes on to the background also .

Now if I have three (3) clips in Photoshop how can I get to see then as  Layer  3

Layer 2

Layer 1

Background

Thanks very much.

• 1. Re: Layers in Photoshop
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

When I put a photo in Photoshop  it goes on the background layer ,  and when I add a second photo it erases the first clip and it goes on to the background also .

No, when you open two images they are simply open as two separate files, nothing is erased.

Maybe you should abandon the tabbed display and use floating windows to better appreciate this.

Now if I have three (3) clips in Photoshop how can I get to see then as  Layer  3

Layer 2

Layer 1

Background

One can copy/paste (not a very good option, though), drag/drop, use File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack, …

• 2. Re: Layers in Photoshop
            Koolbreeze Level 1

I probably do not have a  complete understanding of how Photoshop works . As I said earlier I have 3 clips in Photoshop  ,  I though that :

Clip -1  was always the BACKGROUND LAYER  and then

Clip -2 would show as LAYER _ 2

Clip - 3  would show as  LAYER _3

But when I click on CLIP - 2  this now shows as THE BACKGROUND LAYER , ETC ETC.

• 3. Re: Layers in Photoshop
              Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you have opened 3 separate documents. You need to combine them into a single document to have layers. I recorded this video that shows different ways that you can combine images into a single document. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgaDPeujU3Y&sns=em

• 4. Re: Layers in Photoshop
                Koolbreeze Level 1

Thank you , thank you , thank you Theresa J .  very well explained . That is exactly what I to know . . . . .  how to open three (3) separate individual clip layers.

Nice job and very well done , once again thanks very much.

• 5. Re: Layers in Photoshop
                  Koolbreeze Level 1

Love your  U tube tutorials Theresa  ! ! ! !   . . . . . one more thing while I have your attention.

Under the file menu there is  PLACE EMBEDDED  and PLACE LINKED  , can you please explain the difference between the two ?

Thanks in advance.

• 6. Re: Layers in Photoshop
                    Bojan Živković Adobe Community Professional

Here is my video tutorial with explanation The Difference Between Linked and Embedded Smart Object Layers in Photoshop - YouTube

If you need more help do not hesitate to ask more questions.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Layers in Photoshop
                      Koolbreeze Level 1

Thanks very much to you also Bojan  , another awesome tutorial . . . . very good .

Thank you very much.

• 8. Re: Layers in Photoshop
                        Koolbreeze Level 1

Hi Theresa  , like I said your tutorial is awesome but I am having just a slight problem ,

In demonstration No.1  Tabbed Drag & Drop  :   When I click on the tab of a clip  and try to drag like you said to do  , the entire tab along with the clip moves from it position and when I drag into the other image I am not achieving the same effect as you having  . . . what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks