1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2008 10:20 AM by ntsiii

Before I start coding an RIA project...

turbturb
      Hi,

in a couple of month, I'll start working on a personal project. I have the main idea since a long time in my head but, I'm still looking for the right tools to develop it. Right now, I have always work with Flash and never use Flex, but have done some research on it. I have see some nice Flex project but still have some issue with it!

So far, the only advantage I have see from Flex is that you can embed a web page... so here some question:

1)
      Why file size is so big compare to Flash (around 130kb)?

2)
      Most of the Flex apps are looking the same so, I am wondering if we can do everything or we have to follow a pre-defined template?

3)
      Can we do everything in Flex that can be done in Flash?

4)
      What is the best tool for RIA, if I am going to code mostly everything myself?

5)
      Is the preloader can be skinnable so it not look like it is a Flex apps?

6)
      What is the best quality of Flex?

Here is one Flex interface I really like: http://www.sliderocket.com/index.html

Is someone have some nice Flex layout to share, it wiould be nice to see!

Thank alot for helping me
        • 1. Re: Before I start coding an RIA project...
          ntsiii Level 3
          1) The flex Framework code.The benefit is lsee coding for you.
          2) The app can look anyway you want. It is just easy for non-designers to just use the Halo skins.
          3) Essentially. It all SWF, running in the Flash Player.
          4) ?
          5) yes
          6) Depends. One is a classic, application centered development process and methodology. No "timeline", "frames", etc. there are others. Google will get you a lot of discussion.

Tracy