1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2018 2:53 PM by Bisa Goma

Replacing Mobo and Processor - lots of questions!

Stu S

So after six years, either my processor or a memory slot on my mobo is failing.  I know a LOT has changed in 6 years, and I am way out of shape but trying to get up to speed fast and am feeling a little overwhelmed, hoping to get some good advice here, much as I did way back when from Harm, Eric, Bill and others.

My needs right now are to cut 4k a7sii and 4k drone footage with LUT's and Lumetri effects. PPro is my main focus, occasional light AE and PS work, but nothing special.

After pulling the mobo and processor (Asus p9x79Pro and i3930 overclocked) here's what I own and have to work with:

Antec V3 1200 full tower

Corsair HX 1050 gold power supply

Asus GeForce  GTX 1060 6gb (about a year old)

Asus BD burner

Coolermaster 212 Evo

Sata and firewire cards (for legacy material)

For my HD's, I have mostly WD black's (one Hitachi is in there somewhere) for OS, Projects, Exports, Backup, Media Cache, and 2 WD 64gb 1TB's in a RAID 0 for my media.

I am thinking about:

GIGABYTE x299 AORUS GAMING7 X299 6BG/S MOBO

iNTEL CORE I7 7820x sKYLAKE X 8 CORE 3.6 lga 2066

4  Sticks of:

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM

CT10549950

• DDR4 PC4-19200 • CL=17 • Single Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-2400 • 1.2V • 1024Meg x 64 •

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E1T0BW - to replace Raid O for media

Do I need an additional ssd for media cache files?

Question - can I keep my super stable install of windows 7, or do I need to go to 10?

This is a pretty pricey re-build, so I am hoping that everything is compatible and good for CC2018, and is reasonably future proof.  Opinions on the bundle and gotchas I may be missing are MUCH appreciated.

Thanks