• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the picture size and the aspect ratio??

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!

@I Am Trying to prepare a picture for a Premier Pro Timeline that is 1080 high.  The picture I have is 2560 x 1920.  It has a DPI of 72 and a aspect ratio of 1.333.

The picture needs to be 1440 x 1080 with an aspect ratio of 1.000. 

I am having problems figuring how to go about this as the crop tool in PS only crops proportionally and not by one side at a time like LightRoom.

I tried converting several different ways but things go wrong after I change the aspect ratio to 1:1  The picture always needs to be cropped, but can never get the crop tool to work on just the sides alone.  I rather not have to export the picture to LightRoom just to have it cropped.  I think I can work around all my problems if there is a way to be able to crop one side of the picture at a time.  Is there a way?

Or is there a better way to convert this picture?   Remember I need an aspect ratio of 1.:1

Thanks for your help,

Duane

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

dtwo@centurylink.net  wrote

The picture I have is 2560 x 1920.  It has a DPI of 72 and a aspect ratio of 1.333.

This is a clue. Normally, a picture with an aspect ratio of 1.000 must have the same number of horizontal and vertical pixels, like 1440 x 1440. There might be some confusion here between the image aspect ratio and the pixel aspect ratio. It sounds like the picture might need to be set up for a Premiere Pro timeline usin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Options bar across the top to change the options for how tools behave. Change the ratio for the crop tool to 1 x 1. You can also set a PPI (pixels per inch).

If the Crop tool doesn't work for you, use the Rectangle Marquee tool and set it to a 1 X 1 ratio. Then choose Image > Crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The picture I have is 2560 x 1920.  It has a DPI of 72 and a aspect ratio of 1.333.

This is a clue. Normally, a picture with an aspect ratio of 1.000 must have the same number of horizontal and vertical pixels, like 1440 x 1440. There might be some confusion here between the image aspect ratio and the pixel aspect ratio. It sounds like the picture might need to be set up for a Premiere Pro timeline using a 1.333 pixel aspect ratio, which is used by some video formats. But by default, Photoshop is going to use a 1.0 pixel aspect ratio.

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact solution to this, but it probably involves properly setting up the View > Pixel Aspect Ratio submenu and the View > Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction command.

Try this...

1. Open your 2560 x 1920 px image. My guess is that if you look in the View menu, View > Pixel Aspect Ratio is set to 1.33, and View > Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction is on.
  2. Choose View > Pixel Aspect Ratio > Square. This sets the Pixel Aspect Ratio to 1:1, and that makes the image look less wide.
  3. Choose Image > Image Size. It still says 2560 x 1920 px because no pixels were removed or added, only their aspect ratio was changed.
  4. Change the Width from 2560 to 1440. This should also change the Height to 1080, so now you should be done.

If this really is just a pixel aspect ratio problem, cropping should not be used to solve this unless you actually want to clip out part of the picture. But if you did use the Crop tool, you can crop just one side by dragging a middle handle (not a corner handle), but that only works when the Crop tool is not set to a specific aspect ratio. Because when you tell Photoshop you want to crop to a specific aspect ratio, maintaining that aspect ratio requires that both dimensions be cropped by the same amount. That would not be possible if you cropped just one dimension.

and not by one side at a time like LightRoom

Lightroom works the same as Photoshop, but uses different controls. If the lock icon in the Lightroom crop tool is open, it is not locked to a specific aspect ratio so you can crop height and width independently. But if the lock icon is closed, that locks the aspect ratio and so Lightroom will crop height and width together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad - you replied correctly whilst I was typing. We are both saying the same thing though

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Conrad and all that replied to my question, thank you.  I started to experiment around with using the crop tool and the other ideas suggested.  I tried the Content Aware Scale as well.  It worked some times but was difficult for it to be consistent.  The inconsistencies bothered me so I set up a separate timeline for testing.  Premier Pro (and maybe PS, but could never find it) displays the size and aspect ratio when the curser is run over the asset.   I moved a few of the original files into Premier Pro and found that they had a 1.0 aspect ratio.  Then why did the ones that I ran through the image processor come out as 1.333?   After much experimenting with different sizes in for the output file, I found that if I used 1440 x 1080 I now had a ratio of 1.333 and if I put in 1439 x 1079, It came out as 1.0.  So PS changes the aspect ratio when it sees an output that is 1.333.  Also, I did not have this problem if I made the picture square by using 1080 x 1080.  You would expect square pixels at that setting.   However, I did not like a square picture so I ended up using 1439 x 1079 for all my pictures.  They look great.  It is worth noting that this problem occurred using some old pictures from 2006 with a Konica Minolta Dimage camera.  I have not seen this problem with newer cameras such as my Canon Powershot or my Nikon.  In fact, I shoot my pictures on that camera at 6000 x 4000.  After they are worked in LightRoom, I run them through the PS image processor set at 1920 x 1080.  They come out at a smaller width (I guess 1440, don't remember) with a 1.0 aspect ratio.  That is what I was looking for with these pictures.  With the same settings that I always use, I just never expect the Konica pictures to come out at 1.333. 

Now as I go through this project, I will have to look at which camera the pictures came from.

Again, thanks everyone,

Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Duane

Are you sure you need a picture  aspect ratio of 1x1 or are you referring to a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1?

2560x1920 with square pixels has a picture aspect ratio of 1.33 to 1 and a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1

1440x1080 also has picture aspect ratio 1.33:1 and a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1 ( although 1440x1080 video has an aspect ratio of 16:9 by having rectangular (1.33:1) rather than square pixels )

So to go from one to the other is a simple matter of Image Size

If you genuinely need a picture  aspect ratio of 1:1 (i.e square) then you need to crop the image and set a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1.333 so that 1440x1080 displays square.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines