9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2018 5:10 PM by richardplondon

Lightroom before and after not synced

chetanv

Hi everyone!

As a fairly recent user of Lightroom CC, I noticed something unusual (could well be my fault!).

In the Develop module - when I do a "Before" and "After" view - the pictures are not synced. i.e., even when I reset the picture, the "After" picture does not look like the "Before" picture.

Is this an issue, or am I doing something wrong?

Appreciate any input!

Best,

C

• 1. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced
          Neox99 Level 4

Before = NO adjustments made!

After = With adjustments made.

There would be no point to Before / After if there were no changes.

• 2. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced
            chetanv Level 1

Not sure you read the entire post. Even when the picture is reset, the before and after pictures aren't the same.

• 3. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In other words, you're saying that the before image is a completely different image. Is that right? I've never seen that before.

• 4. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced
                chetanv Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.

It's the same picture, however, with some elements altered. For example, the colors are more vibrant on the "before" picture, with more saturated reds and greens.

I assumed the reset button would make the pictures the same. But that isn't the case!

Any idea why that may be?

• 5. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced

Don't know what to tell you. I just reset an image that I had developed and then did a before/after comparison. They were the same. Was it the same image, or did you have the original and a copy? Is this a raw or JPEG?

• 6. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced
                    chetanv Level 1

It was the original, and these are RAW files. It appears to be happening with quite a few pictures.

Thanks for the response!

• 7. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced
                      chetanv Level 1

Here is a picture of the difference (see below). As you can see - the carpeting on the stairs look faded in the 'After' picture. This is after I click 'Reset' in the develop module.

Appreciate any help.

Also, for what it's worth - the 'Before' looks pretty good - and I would be happy just using it as is...

Here

• 8. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced

The date on this post is really old. How did it get to the top of the list? Also, the screenshot displayed is of an older version. What is going on?

• 9. Re: Lightroom before and after not synced
                          richardplondon Level 4

Regardless what pushed this to the top of the list, replying to it has done so again!

some observations:

• "Before" does not necessarily show the image without any editing - any other History state of the image may be set as the 'source' state for this comparison, instead.
                          • "Before" has a special usage in the case of soft proofing / virtual copies.
                          • An image that has got previous / other editing metadata saved to it, and loaded in by LR at import or subsequently, may thus look different than an "unprocessed" (= default processed) image so far as LR is concerned,
                          • "Reset" does not necessarily put the image back as it originally was before any editing - it just imposes afresh whatever settings exist as the current processing defaults for this type of image (Raw or non-raw, per camera model as relevant, perhaps with differing settings per ISO value / per serial no if LR is so configured.) If I've changed those defaults on Tuesday, the result from pressing Reset will be different on Wednesday, than it was on Monday.
                          • The first history state of the image as seen before any further editing. may reflect a preset applied during import - and even if the processing defaults are unchanged in the meanwhile, a later Reset and this first seen state may therefore look different from each other.
                          • And if this preset has been updated meanwhile, even re-applying the same preset originally used at import, will now have a different impact than before.