7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 10:02 AM by john beardsworth

Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?

briand69297090

I see a lot of information about moving from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom CC, but as a new user, never having used any of the Creative Cloud apps and starting fresh with Lightroom CC, are there things that Lightroom Classic can do that LIghtroom CC cannot?  The question that I have which has lead me to this post is how to include "metadata" types of things, such as copyright info, contact info and even watermarks to my work either when I import it from my storage media or when I want to export it or publish it?  Will I need to learn both versions of Lightroom?  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?
          ashleyb28491401 Level 1

Lightroom Classic can do a lot more than CC; it gives you a lot more control.    You would normally only use one, not both.

My experience is that you cannot edit metadata in Lightproom CC, but there are plenty of free apps & free online services that allow you to do that.

The advantage CC has is that is less expensive for the same amount of storage.

Hope this helps

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

The last upgrade of Lightroom CC 2025 was that Lightroom morphed into two individual applications. LR 2015 was upgraded to LR Classic CC with a few new features and improved performance. Now there is a completely new application with name Lightroom CC ( version 1.1)  which is cloud based, go to the link below where you can get the full story from the horses mouthLightroom Journal | Tips and advice straight from the Lightroom team.

• 3. Re: Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?
              Neox99 Level 4

JKost.png

Go to her website and watch EVERY video you can find on Lightroom, Lightroom for Mobile, Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC.

PLEASE understand the intended use of Lr Classic opposed to the use of Lr CC. Julieanne NEVER suggests the two should be used for the same massive libraries of photos.

Pick the one that works for you.

IMO - -

You can use both together but odds are you will have a mess if you do.

Lr CC is WAY too young to be synced to something as robust as Lr Classic.

• 4. Re: Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?
                briand69297090 Level 1

OK, so as someone that has basically zero experience with Lightroom, I am starting fresh.  If I want to add metadata, as previously mentioned, to all of my work when I upload, I can use third party software rather than the adobe creative cloud collection of apps.  Almost seems like Lightroom CC could be called Lightroom CC Lite.  Don't get me wrong, it has been wonderful these last couple of weeks being able to transfer my work from my storage media to LRCC and then be able to use the app on my phone to see my work.  I guess this will just take time, like learning how to use MS Word rather than Wordperfect or AMI pro.  I will take a look at the videos for sure.  Thanks so much.

• 5. Re: Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

briand69297090  wrote

I see a lot of information about moving from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom CC, but as a new user, never having used any of the Creative Cloud apps and starting fresh with Lightroom CC, are there things that Lightroom Classic can do that LIghtroom CC cannot?  The question that I have which has lead me to this post is how to include "metadata" types of things, such as copyright info, contact info and even watermarks to my work either when I import it from my storage media or when I want to export it or publish it?  Will I need to learn both versions of Lightroom?  Thanks in advance.

Take a look at https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/  which gives a good comparison of the two applications.

If in doubt, use Classic. LRCC is more like a phone app, just running on your PC/Mac.

• 6. Re: Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?
                    briand69297090 Level 1

I do enjoy what LRCC has provided me so far.  Maybe what I need to do is the following:

1.  Download photographs via LR Classic, adding any and all the Metadata that I would like as well as making any alterations that the more powerful LRCC can perform.

2.  Once I am happy with the photos in LR Classic, I can then upload them to LRCC.

3.  Once on LRCC, I can then remove the files that are stored locally.

Sorry, just another quick question:  As stated I am very new to all of this post shot stuff. but with LRCC, there is an option to edit in Photoshop CC, which I am starting to learn as well.  Will the editing features found in Photoshop be greater than the options found in LRCC and LR Classic?  Basically, why would I need to do any extensive editing in either LRCC or LR Classic if the same can be done in Photoshop?

Maybe as DdeGannes stated, it will be a lot better in LRCC 2025.

• 7. Re: Newbie to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC--what am I missing?
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, Photoshop has so much more power and can change any detail in an image, singular. However, Lightroom Classic and (to a lesser extent) LRCC manage as well as adjust images plural.

I sometimes think Lightroom is for correcting images, Photoshop when you need to cheat. For example, I had a series of images where the best shot had someone slightly cropped - in Photoshop I constructed that side of the image. Another one had a lot of wires which I could probably have cleared with LR's dust spotting tool (and a load of ingenuity) but which I fixed much more quickly in Photoshop. Many images can be completely post processed in LR, but the difficult ones sometimes need Photoshop.

Remember that metadata from Classic doesn't fully sync to the cloud, while LRCC doesn't allow you to enter all the necessary metadata. Not great.