• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font sizes not displaying correctly

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a text box in any new or existing file, text sizes are not showing correctly. For example, I am designing an email at 1200px wide, 300 ppi (resolution shouldn't matter) and if I create a text box and type (in any typeface) 40 pt type looks like it's about 200 pts. If I compare the type to existing files that I know utilize 40 pt type in the same typeface, it's about twice the size. I have not scaled the text box in any way, I've restarted photoshop and my computer twice, and just now I've updated photoshop to Photoshop CC 19.0.1...to my amazement it's made the problem WORSE! Screenshot attached of what actual 40pt calibre type looks like (at the bottom), what photoshop thought was 40pt calibre type a couple of hours ago (center) and what photoshop with the 19.0.1 update thinks is 40pt calibre type. (top)

HELP! Thanks in advance!!!

lies.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aflorio1992  wrote

(resolution shouldn't matter)

I wonder if you are getting confused between Photoshop Point and Area type?  The naming terminology is definitely a wee bit ambiguous, and all too likely to lead to confusion IMHO.

While Photoshop Help pages refer to Point type as opposed to Area (or Paragraph) type layers, with point being where you click on the screen and start typing, and Area where you drag out a text box, that is not the same as Type units in which Point/Pica size is a linear measurment.  So resolution does matter.

So the same 500 pixel wide document and 30 Point Type layer at 72PPI

Will show type very different at 300PPI.  The document is still 500 pixels wide, the type layer 30 points

Scroll down to Entering Type

Create type in Photoshop

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help Trevor! I appreciate it. I suppose I'm thinking of the resolution very literally in that if the artboard is a certain point dimension the type point dimensions should correspond regardless of ppi resolution. Thanks for explaining.

Oddly enough when I poked around my preferences the only thing that makes the appearance of the type accurate is to switch from points to pixels in type units (which doesn't make sense to me, they should be the same under these settings)

Screenshot of my preferences below, which are identical to yours and still present massive/not accurate type. Let me know if you have any thoughts!

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 5.28.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually use Pixels for type layers when making illustrations, because I know that a 100 pixel type layer will be one tenth the height of a 1000 pixel high document.  In fact the only time I use points is when briefed to use particular sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines