• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I generate a Mini TOC on a page that uses a different Master Page.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Framemaker 2017
I would like to generate a mini toc but have it appear with a different master page from what the body pages were created from.
Provided that the "text flow frame" is named the same as the body pages, once generated could the MTOC be copied or moved to a different page (with a different master page)? Or can it only live within the same text flow as the body page from which it was generated?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, just map the MTOC paratag to the appropriate master page using the Master Page Assignment Table in the reference pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kim:

Provided that the "text flow frame" is named the same as the body pages, once generated could the MTOC be copied or moved to a different page (with a different master page)? Or can it only live within the same text flow as the body page from which it was generated?

Does it need to be in a different flow? That doesn't seem to work. I can paste it into a new flow but then it doesn't update. If I try to assign a master page with a different flow tag, it overprints the original text frame, so I'm going with a no to that question.

But if you don't need a separate flow, you can generate the mini-TOC—format the MTOC tags—then cut it from one page and paste on another within the same flow—and map one of MTOC tags to the master page mapping table so that yes, Fm can assign the master page automatically. You'll have to mess with page breaks though, which is likely why you were asking about a new flow tag.

We haven't seen your documentation, but one other idea to throw out there is that long before we had the generate Mini-TOC feature introduced in Fm 2015, we used to generate mini-TOCs as stand-alone TOCs and then bring them into a file in via text insets. (To keep it confusing, they are both called mini-TOCs.) That would work fine with a new flow tag. Details on that older workflow here: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-how-to-create-a-mini-toc-for-individual-chapt...​.

If you have any questions, just ask.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines