1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 6, 2008 7:41 PM by Newsgroup_User

Convert video

If I use Sorenson to convert video, I end up with a SWF that plays a FLV.

What I want is a single file, a SWF, that when executed plays the video. This file would be used to both play on the website, and could be downloaded by a user.

What program would I use to make the conversion?.

Thanks.

Bobb
        • 1. Re: Convert video
          Level 7
          bobb06810 wrote:
          > If I use Sorenson to convert video, I end up with a SWF that plays a FLV.
          >
          > What I want is a single file, a SWF, that when executed plays the video. This
          > file would be used to both play on the website, and could be downloaded by a
          > user.
          >
          > What program would I use to make the conversion?.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Bobb

Might be hard because flash has limit of 16.000 frames and it won't allow you export
          timeline beyond that number. And with Video, it's not hard to reach that number.
          In case of regular timeline, it's easy to work around it using multiple movie clips
          or SWF files etc... But video being single file it's more complicated. Beside, no one
          can play SWF on desktop unless the user has the Flash authoring tool, because the standalone
          player comes exclusively with Flash program. So you will still need to
          give extra file like HTML for them to open it in browser.

I would suggest providing different format for online playback and different for download.
          Download regular zipped MPEG-2 or AVI, common standards that will run on any computer.
          FLV and SWF won't play as standalone.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>