18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2018 10:28 PM by geoffreyp37178285

Variable font file issues saving.

schwaby Level 1

Hi- with .ai 2018 whenever i save a file now it takes FOREVER. it gives me this message. " converting text objects with variable fonts and colored font converted to outlines" . I am just using the same fonts i always use and they are actually not converted to outlines after saving. Each save bring up the beach ball and message with a slow progress bar for a while. Please help, this is really slowing me down. thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
          Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're saving an AI file?

Which options?

Where do you save? Does that also happen when you save onthe desktop?

Is the document built in a way that has transparent obects on top of text?

Which fonts did you use?

Does that also happen with a simple file that has nothing else than one text object in it?

Which system?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
            AshutoshChaturvedi Adobe Employee

we need to have a look at the file.

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi  | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

• 3. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
              schwaby Level 1

It happens with every file I create or open. Mac latest operating system. Adobe CC latest version. I’m NOT using variable fonts. Does not matter what font I use every save does this now with new CC version. I have restarted everything.  It is not one specific file it is with every file I open work on and then save. It happens with new files. it only happens with CC 2018 subscription Version.

am using latest version of Extensis Suitcase for font management. Is there a way to eliminate the new variable fonts? They don’t show up in Suitcase to manage.

• 4. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

Can you try and turn off Suitcase?

• 5. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
                  ceyhun_akgun Adobe Community Professional

Fonts are not just in the system. Programs have special places that they install. I use "FontExplorer X Pro" for font management. Library / Font, system etc. it can manage all active fonts in spots. He can clear the cache.

2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
                    AnUnusualHat

I have this issue on CC 2018, up till recently this just made saving very slow but now whenever I try to save a file it takes a good 10-15mins before giving me a "A file I/O error occurred" on rare occasions the save is actually successful. As far as I'm aware I'm not using any custom font managers or plugins.

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 12.05.23.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 12.08.10.png

I'm using an iMac, macOS: 10.12.6

Thanks

• 7. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

Are you saving to a lower version of Illustrator?

• 8. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
                        AnUnusualHat Level 1

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Yes, the screenshot is from saving as a CS6 filetype, but the save time taken is the same as for the default CC and I still get the I/O error. Is the variable fonts message particular to saving as older versions? I hadn't used that feature before I started getting the slow save and error message... I assumed it was related, but then I might be barking up the wrong tree.

• 9. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

Variable fonts are not compatible with CC2017 or even older. So the fonts will be outlined and since your file looks quite complicated, that outlining might take a while. And maybe Illustrator even faces issues outlining at all because of memory problems or whatever.

When you do a save as to the current version, do you save with "PDF compatibility"? Do you need it? If not, try and turn it off.

• 10. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
                            Elrol Level 1

The explanation is nice but this needs to be fixed. Outlining takes forever and for no reason. My file doesn't use any variable or color fonts at all and I'm talking minutes here for saving one simple file. My files has literaly 3 lines of text (that are NOT using variable font) but it has quite big images linked in. There's no reason why "outlining might take a while" when there's nothing to outline.

Because I'm paying subscription I have the latest version of Ilustrator which I like. But I need to save to older version because of printer shop. This feature makes my productivity go down about 500% and that is not an exagaration.

Also, since I'm angry and I have to get it all out, that stupid progress bar in dialog box is horribly misaligned.

• 11. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

Elrol  schrieb

The explanation is nice but this needs to be fixed. Outlining takes forever and for no reason. My file doesn't use any variable or color fonts at all and I'm talking minutes here for saving one simple file. My files has literaly 3 lines of text (that are NOT using variable font) but it has quite big images linked in. There's no reason why "outlining might take a while" when there's nothing to outline.

Because I'm paying subscription I have the latest version of Ilustrator which I like. But I need to save to older version because of printer shop. This feature makes my productivity go down about 500% and that is not an exagaration.

Also, since I'm angry and I have to get it all out, that stupid progress bar in dialog box is horribly misaligned.

Do you use font management?

• 12. Re: Variable font file issues saving.
                                geoffreyp37178285 Level 1

I also have the same issue and it seriously affects my productivity. Some of my text is in white, not black. Is that what is causing them to be "colored fonts"?

Cheers

Geoff

• 13. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

geoffreyp37178285  schrieb

I also have the same issue and it seriously affects my productivity.

Please describe your system and version.

Do you use font management?

And please describe the exact issue step by step.

• 14. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

I use

1. Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 22.1, I always keep it up to date
                                    2. Macbook Pro, retina display, 16GB RAM
                                    3. MacOS 10.13.6

It now takes 20 minutes to save the file, and it is over 2GB. Therefore I save infrequently, which is more dangerous.

By comparison an "export for screens" JPEG is about 100MB. It would be nice to have a utility that told me what was taking so much time and space  – it could be the fonts (because it displays that disturbing message), or it could be something I am doing wrong with swatches (I suspect I am being inefficient with them).

I will conduct an experiment tonight - remove all text from the file and see if anything changes.

Cheers

Geoff

• 15. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

geoffreyp37178285  schrieb

It now takes 20 minutes to save the file, and it is over 2GB. Therefore I save infrequently, which is more dangerous.

By comparison an "export for screens" JPEG is about 100MB.

What's in that file?

a 100 MB JPEG doesn't fall from the blue sky.

• 16. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by that expression.

Let me describe my file. This is a map for a historical board game. The bottom-most layer is an imported jpeg image, a scan of a historical map. The base map layer is never printed or exported. Above that are about 30 layers, the majority of which are lines, patterns, and simple polygons. I use swatches extensively. A small number of layers have a small amount of text. One of those text layers is below some transparent layers, but the majority of the text layers are not.

What is really weird is that the file opens in about 20 seconds, but takes 15+ minutes to save even though if I make no changes

I just ran some timings.

Saving as a CC illustrator file (*.ai) the progress bar reached the right hand-end after 7 minutes. It just finished after 16 minutes, although obviously the progress bar did not move move after 7 minutes. The only message the dialog displayed is "Saving Illustrator file" so I can't give you much information.

I then timed "Save as" for a PDF, with only "Embed Page Thumbnails" selected. Acrobat 6, because it is the default - I could easily change that. That took 63 seconds.

I deleted all the text layers and saved as an ai again (using a copy of my file). This tie it took 10 minutes for the progress bar to reach the end, and then the save actually ended at 19 minutes. So deleting the text has no real effect

I have not been able to reproduce the converting text to outlines event. Perhaps that was a one-off conversion, although when I look at my backups the file size has not changed significantly.  I'll try going to a backup copy of the file tomorrow night.

The "export for web" file was produced using that dialog by that name, and contains virtually every layer apart from the base map.

tl;dr

It would be very helpful if Adobe had a tool that showed me how much storage (and CPU time for storing) was being used by each layer or type of graphic element. That would enable me to work out why my file is slow to save – it is not the text. I used to write vector graphics editors for a living so I know that my file should not be that complex, I am doing something wrong according to the way AI wants me to work. But it does not give me enough information to work out what is wrong.

Cheers

Geoff

• 17. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

When you save as AI, do you check "PDF compatible"? Please uncheck that option.

Please do also read the documentation: How to save artwork in Illustrator

You can't compare saving for web with Saving as an AI file.

And your file size has nothing to do with variable fonts. Your file is so huge because of the included JPEG (and it will probably be much smaller when you don't save "PDF compatible").

About saving files: How Illustrator saves files - YouTube

Please watch that video.

• 18. Re: Variable font file issues saving.

Thanks for your advice.

I have solved my saving problem by doing two things:

1. (Most important) Choosing "save As" and unselecting "PDF compatible"
                                            2. Replacing the embedded image by a linked image

It now saves in 20 seconds, down from 20 minutes :-)

Cheers

Geoff