5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2018 6:17 AM by fenjas29325284

Data merge doesn't work with type on path on master page?

ashleew44226948 Level 1

I ran into a bizarre issue while using data merge today, and thought I'd turn to the forum to see if anyone had an idea as to the cause.

The problem

I have a document with all of the static items on the master page and the variable data items on the document page. Since the merged document wouldn't require any further fiddling, I used Data Merge > Export to PDF to generate the final file.

The result: The variable data merged correctly. The static items on the master also merged correctly, with one exception: a title that had been created using the "type on a path" tool. Specifically, this item appeared only on the first page of the merged document, but was absent from all other pages.

Okay, weird. So I run some tests. The result:

• Data Merge > Export to PDF with title text placed on master page -- Title text only appears on first page of merged pdf, absent from all others.
      • Data Merge > Export to PDF with title text placed on document page -- Title text appears on all pages of merged pdf as expected
      • Data Merge > Export to PDF with title text converted to outlines -- Title text appears on all pages of merged pdf as expected
      • Data Merge > Create merged document with title text placed on master page -- Title text appears on all pages of merged document as expected

I thought, "well maybe something's just corrupt with my file. Let me try a new one and see what happens."

So I create a new file with some nonsense type on a path, and a merge field on the document page. The result? Same thing. The text on a path will not merge past the first page if it is placed on a master. The merge field on the document page merges as expected.

It's the darndest thing and I have no idea how to resolve it. Well, I could just tweak my file using any of the working methods I demonstrated above, but if anyone knows how to *actually* fix the problem I'd be much more satisfied. Otherwise, if this is just a weird bug, it'd be good to know so I can report it.

Thanks guys!