9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2018 4:10 AM by hatstead

Rounded border

mcdon47

How do I draw a rounded border? When I searched for solutions, a lot were about how to draw rounded rectangles or rounded corners but I want to insert a rounded border. Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Rounded border
          hatstead Adobe Community Professional

Have a look at the Shape Selection tool (Keyboard short-cut U).

There are many shapes, e.g. Crescent Moon, etc.

• 2. Re: Rounded border
            Mark Sand Level 4

1.  Select the Rounded Rectangle tool. Set Radius (size of rounded corner) to a large value (in this example I used 80 px).

2.  Draw out rectangle, creating a new layer. Ctrl-click the layer to select just the shape and delete the layer (for purposes of the example I just turned off its visibility).

3.  Create a new blank layer and Edit>Stroke. I used a value of 50 px. Location Inside gave the best result; Center and Outside gave corners that were not quite well rounded.

round rectangle border.jpg

• 3. Re: Rounded border
              mcdon47 Level 1

Thank you. There are all sorts of fancy shapes but none that is a rounded border.

• 4. Re: Rounded border
                mcdon47 Level 1

Thank you but I do not think you have finished your sentence? Step no 3.... I selected Edit>Stroke and there there another rounded rectangle but what then??

• 5. Re: Rounded border

Sorry, but I misunderstood what you are looking for. Try this:

1. Open picture file. This will be the background layer.
                  2. Access the Rounded rectangle tool. It is nested in a slot in the shape selection tool - press U a couple of times to get to it.
                  3. Set the radius to 60-80, and drag out the rectangle. This will generate a new layer. Shut off the visibility of this layer by clicking on its eye icon in the layers palette.
                  4. Press CTRL+left click on the layer thumbnail (not the name) to make the shape active. You should see "marching ants."
                  5. Open a blank layer at the top.
                  6. Go to Edit>Stroke(outline) selection. Make stroke 4-5 px, place it inside.
                  7. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the marching ants.

rounded.JPG

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Rounded border
                    Mark Sand Level 4

mcdon47  wrote

Thank you but I do not think you have finished your sentence? Step no 3.... I selected Edit>Stroke and there there another rounded rectangle but what then??

I should have mentioned to enter the stroke size (width of the border).
                    Hatstead did in his instructions (same as my instructions).

Let us know if you have success.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Rounded border
                      mcdon47 Level 1

Thank you, it works.

• 8. Re: Rounded border
                        mcdon47 Level 1

Thank you, it works.

• 9. Re: Rounded border

You're welcome. Glad to help.