4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 6:37 PM by Art of Walls

Interpolation mode of Smart Objects.

Art of Walls Level 1

I have a project that uses several nested smart objects. The innermost one contains a screen capture of an 8 bits videogame at 1:1 pixel size. Then the smart object container is resized 4 times larger using nearest neighbor, so each pixel is now 4x4 pixels without any smoothing artifact. In this smart object I have several other layers and effects (such as adding TV scanlines) and then, outside it, the smart object is cushion warped in the main image to resemble the curvature of a CRT screen. This Smart Object is warped using Automatic Bicubic interpolation.

The problem is everytime I navigate to the inner nested object, I have to change in General Preferences the Interpolation mode to Nearest Neighbour before exiting. And then I have to change it again to Automatic Bicubic before exiting the intermediate level.

Is there any way to tell Photoshop to always use Nearest Neighbour interpolation in the innermost Smart Object without having to change it manually aech time in Preferences?

• 1. Re: Interpolation mode of Smart Objects.
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Do you know you can set the Interpolation in the Options bar during the transform > warp process?

• 2. Re: Interpolation mode of Smart Objects.
            Art of Walls Level 1

Yes, I know but this only appears when you are doing a transformation. But I want to reuse this setting as a template to generate different images just by changing the screen capture stored inside the innermost smart object. When I change the layer with the screen capture and exit the smart object, it is rendered again in the level above using automatic bilinear instead of nearest neighbour. Even if I hit ctrl+t, change the interpolation to nearest neighbour and then click the checkmark, not transforming anything, the image is not rendered again because Photoshop interprets that nothing has changed in it.

• 3. Re: Interpolation mode of Smart Objects.
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Use an action to change Preferences then.  I have several Actions triggered by a single push of one of the G-keys on my Logitech G910 keyboard.  One of the forum regulars uses the Logitech G13 keyboard extension. If this works the same as the G910, then every key can be programed with a string of keystrokes, or a macro.  I love the G-keys on my G910, and might invest in a G13 one day.

• 4. Re: Interpolation mode of Smart Objects.
                Art of Walls Level 1

That's a great idea!

I didn't know a change in preferences could be registered as a Photoshop action. Now I have an action that changes interpolation to Nearest Neighbour and another one that changes it to Bicubic. It is not exactly what I intended because I have to execute the actions myself and what I was searching for was some way for Photoshop to remember what kind of interpolation was originally used in that Smart Object and keep it, but If it can't be, then I think this is the best I can get. At least it is certainly easier than browsing the menus manually.

Thank you!

I don't have a G13 keyboard but I have a Wacom ExpressKey Remote with 17 keys and 16 more ExpressKeys at the sides of my Cintiq so I think that will suffice