1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2008 9:45 PM by Newsgroup_User

Flash CS3 Save As Flash 5?

gejarrett
      My son is taking a Flash class at the local college. The lab computers all run Flash 5. We have installed Flash Professional CS3 on his computer (Win XP). He would like to edit .fla files at home and still be able to use them in class.

Unfortunately, the only option in the "Save As..." dialogue is for Flash 8 format, which he could not open in Flash 5. "Export..." offers a number of options, none of them .fla. Of course we can "Publish..." Flash 5 Player-compatible .swf files, but that's not going to help him edit.

So, is there anyway to save a Flash 5 .fla file from the current version of Flash?

Alternatively, is there anyway to obtain a licensed copy of Flash 5?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: Flash CS3 Save As Flash 5?
          Level 7
          gejarrett,

> My son is taking a Flash class at the local college. The lab computers
          > all run Flash 5. We have installed Flash Professional CS3 on his computer
          > (Win XP). He would like to edit .fla files at home and still be able to
          > use
          > them in class.

That's going to be tough. :( As you've seen, CS3 saves to Flash 8. If
          you happen to have a copy of Flash 8, you'll find it saves back to Flash MX
          2004 (aka 7), and so on. It's possible to save a CS3 FLA file back to Flash
          5, but you have to have access to each version of the IDE back to Flash MX
          (aka 6).

> Alternatively, is there anyway to obtain a licensed copy of Flash 5?

I suppose it's *possible* you might find something on eBay or the like,
          but used software purchases often raise a few red flags. If you search
          around, it might be possible to find an old trial version ... the kind that
          dies after 30 days. That might be the best you can do.

I'm actually kind of wincing that a college is still training people on
          Flash 5. So much has changed, much of the training may not be useful. (I
          realize I'm likely preaching to the choir.)

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."