8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 1:09 PM by Per Berntsen

Color different after Lightroom export

arjent75570866

While my images look the same in Lightroom and Photoshop, the (warm) colors change significantly after exporting to my hard drive as JPEG or any other format, when opening with a different program. When I post the image to a website (Flickr) the image looks right again (the same as in Lightroom).

I have tried several things, such as:

- Turning off GP option in Lightroom

- Downloading other photoviewers (Irfanview, FastStone)

- Changing colorspace when exporting (sRGB, ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB (1998))

- Recalibrating my screen several times with my Colormunki (settings: ICC profile version 2 and 4, white point D50, D65)

- In colormanagement I changed the profile back to sRGB, but the differences were still there

There is one thing I noticed and do not understand. I have an Nvidia card and in the control panel I cannot adjust the colorprofile (I can only adjust some 3d settings). I read that in this case I have to go to the Intel Graphics settings. In the Intel Graphics settings however, I cannot choose my Colormunki profile.

Can someone help me figure out what could be wrong, so I can see the correct version of my images after export from Lightroom or Photoshop?

Thanks in advance!

Arjen

• 1. Re: Color different after Lightroom export
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

You need to provide more information.

• How are the colors changing? Please post screenshots.
          • Exactly what different program are you using to view the exported images?
          • What operating system do you use?
          • What is the make and model of your monitor?
          • 2. Re: Color different after Lightroom export
            arjent75570866 Level 1

Hello Per,

Thank you for your quick reply.

• I included a few screenshots from different applications. As you can see, the warmer colors tend to become more greenish. The cooler colors don't change or at least nog very much. (see second example)
            • I have tried five different programs to view my images after export: Windows Photo Viewer, FastStone, IrfanView, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. None of these show the same colors as Lightroom.
            • I am using Windows 10 Home edition
            • My laptop is a 7 months old HP Pavilion 17-ab273nd. It has a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 videocard and an IPS screen. Do you need any additional information?

Looking forward to your reply.

Arjen

Vergelijking.jpg

• 3. Re: Color different after Lightroom export

Not sure what's going on here.

But when calibrating, you should choose version 2 profile, and Matrix-based. (not LUT or table based, which can create problems)

So i suggest that you recalibrate with these settings.

There is one thing I noticed and do not understand. I have an Nvidia card and in the control panel I cannot adjust the colorprofile (I can only adjust some 3d settings). I read that in this case I have to go to the Intel Graphics settings. In the Intel Graphics settings however, I cannot choose my Colormunki profile.

You should never touch the monitor profile. And changing any settings in the Nvidia control panel will override the monitor profile, so if you changed anything, set it back to default.

• 4. Re: Color different after Lightroom export

Another thought -

You could try disabling the integrated Intel graphics (if possible), so that your computer only uses the Nvidia card.

I have no experience with laptops, but it could be that some applications are using the Intel graphics and some are using the Nvidia card, which could explain the difference.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Color different after Lightroom export
                  arjent75570866 Level 1

Thank you for your answers.
                  It seems like I'm close to the solution (based on your last reply) but I haven't fixed the problem yet.

What I'm sure of now is that the issue has to do with the fact that the computer uses the Intel Graphics Card instead of the Nvidia card. I have changes some settings in the Nvidia control panel, which should have solved the issue, but it doesn't. Basically, all my programs should run on the Nvidia card now according to the settings I'm using, but some still refuse to.

Disabling the Intel Graphics card entirely doesn't solve the problem either, because Windows then goes into some sort of basic mode and all the graphics get really messed up. Finally, I am not able to change the order in which the computer chooses the videocard (it should be Nvidia first), because my HP laptop doesn't let me get into advanced settings in the BIOS. This could be the problem I read.

So I think I have located the problem, but am not yet able to solve it... If you have any additional ideas I would be happy to hear it! Otherwise many thanks for your help and for pointing me in the right direction.

• 6. Re: Color different after Lightroom export

I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help you any further.

Let's hope somebody else can.

• 7. Re: Color different after Lightroom export
                      arjent75570866 Level 1

Just to let you know, the issue has (sort of) been fixed. It did not have to do with the graphics card after all, but with the fact that most photoviewers don't accept/load the X-Rite colorprofile I made, even though it is set up with all the recommended settings (version 2, etc.). Changing the extension from .icm to .icc didnt work either.

Strangely the only photo viewing app that will work with the correct profile is Fast Picture Viewer, after manually choosing it. I have changed my standard photo viewing program to this application now, which sort of solves the problem.

• 8. Re: Color different after Lightroom export

most photoviewers don't accept/load the X-Rite colorprofile I made

Most photo viewers are not color managed, and are not even aware of the monitor profile.

The Windows Photo Viewer is color managed, and Irfanview as well, but you have to enable color management in Settings.

So Lightroom and the Windows Photo Viewer should display identically, which I can see from your screenshot that they don't.

The reason for this has to be either that something wrong with the monitor profile, or the fact that you have two graphics cards.

Since setting the monitor profile to sRGB did not help, I still believe it is somehow caused by having two graphics cards.

And, BTW, most web browsers are color managed these days, the exceptions are Internet Explorer and Edge.

Firefox needs to have Color management mode set to 1. (type about:config in the address field and press Enter, then type color in the search field, select gfx.color_management.mode, double click Value and set it to 1)