5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 5:24 AM by richardplondon

Anyone seen this? Flip Horizontal causes Watermark to flip when Printing

Maine_Capt Level 1

As a fairly new user of the Lightroom Classic CC's Print module, I figured I must be doing something wrong when the watermark on my image printed in mirror image.That's right, after flipping my dng file and sending it to print my Watermark was on the left side vs the right AND in written BACKWARDS (in mirror).

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Lightroom Classic CC 7.0.

In doing a little research in the forum, I see a few similar threads going back quite a while.

Chuck D Wells Aug 17, 2012 3:31 PM experienced the very same issue and a bug was noted in this :

Horizontal Flip also flips watermark when print to jpeg

MY problem is exactly as he documented with customer service rep in 2012. The preview of the print job looks perfect. It is only when you get the job off the printer that you see the reversed watermark.

Has anyone else encountered this? Unfortunately it can be a rather expensive mistake when you commit a 13"x19" print job on Pro Luster Paper!!

Thanks everybody for listening to my rant!

Cheers,

Jim Hinkley

IMG_20180114_220928.jpg.

• 1. Re: Anyone seen this? Flip Horizontal causes Watermark to flip when Printing
          WobertC Adobe Community Professional

Yep- still a bug in Classic 7.1  (Windows 10).  I see the same result-

ScreenShot065.jpg

Post a thread on the forums at- Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anyone seen this? Flip Horizontal causes Watermark to flip when Printing
            Maine_Capt Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation WobertC

I'm hoping that by bringing attention to this, one of the amazing Adobe programmers can put this to rest, so others don't have to waste paper, ink, and time.

It looks to me like this little bug has managed to slide through the cracks in the past. I understand it would be easy to dismiss by anyone looking into it because the preview image looks perfect.

Thanks again!

Jim Hinkley

• 3. Re: Anyone seen this? Flip Horizontal causes Watermark to flip when Printing
              richardplondon Level 4

Just to add another perspective here - one of the reasons why people may want to flip a photo, is because they intend printing onto (e.g.) transparent film. Either this is going to then be viewed from the reverse side (in a lightbox, or adhered to a window for example), or this is a "digital negative" which is going to then be contact printed onto light sensitive paper, or this is acting as intermediate design artwork for an engraving / a screenprint / whatever: some process which itself involves a left-right flip.

Which needs to be anticipated and corrected for.

In such a case it would be actively desirable for a watermark to also get flipped, along with the picture.

And it would be regarded as infuriating if the watermark FAILED to flip, for that use case. Just saying...

• 4. Re: Anyone seen this? Flip Horizontal causes Watermark to flip when Printing
                Maine_Capt Level 1

Thanks Richardplondon,

I'm glad I posted this question so that others can add their perspective / possible needs / use for image flip.

Again, I'm a very new user to Lightroom's Print Module, so my direct knowledge is very limited. But, from what I read in older threads, this seems to be confined to the PC. The watermark on a Mac is supposed to stay put when flipping the image. Maybe some Mac users can let us know how their system behaves?

Cheers,

Jim Hinkley

• 5. Re: Anyone seen this? Flip Horizontal causes Watermark to flip when Printing
                  richardplondon Level 4

I've not had any personal use for this feature as yet. I've only ever flipped output that is being otherwise edited in Photoshop.

It occurs to me that some printer drivers may themselves include a "flip" option as part of their proprietary settings. In that case, this option would be expected to apply to both image and watermark equally.

And choosing that option would logically be output related, e.g. for one of the purposes that I mentioned. 

So that said, the "flip" option within LR could be regarded like the LR "rotate": a matter of correcting for imported picture data which is not appearing the way round / the way up that you want pictorially.

In which use case, when flipping an image for that reason, watermarks should logically not get flipped! After all, watermarks don't rotate themselves when you have rotated an image to show the right way up.

1 person found this helpful