5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 3:12 PM by davescm

New to photoshop cc coming from elements 6 [How do I color my background?]

wekiwis

I was using elements 6 where I lassoed the background and used the paint bucket to colour that background with any color I chose.

.With my new photoshop cc I cannot find how to colour my background. .

• 1. Re: New to photoshop cc coming from elements 6
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please post a screen shot of your tools panel.

• 2. Re: New to photoshop cc coming from elements 6 [How do I color my background?]
            wekiwis Level 1

Thank you Peru Bob. I just got a window popped up on my monitor informing me that photoshop cc has crashed and I had to give them my email address for them to get back to me. They have  not done so yet. I will gte back to you as soon as they fix this problem.

• 3. Re: New to photoshop cc coming from elements 6 [How do I color my background?]
              davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

First your question. In Photoshop we normally work in layers and with masks.
              So the coloured background, or another image, would be on the bottom layer and your image on the layer above.

You can then make a selection around your image and go to Layer - Add Layer Mask - Reveal selection. This will add a maskl show what you have selected on the top layer and allow the bottom layer to show through. Where the layer mask is white the pixels on that layer are visible, where it is black - the pixels on the layer(s) below become visible.

On your other issue, Photoshop crashing, can you post some details of what you are doing when it crashes -along with the system details from Photoshop > Help >System info >Copy and we can and try and help you through that issue.  The crash report allows developers to see what are common crashes and to contact you if they need to, it is not a call-back process.

Dave

• 4. Re: New to photoshop cc coming from elements 6 [How do I color my background?]
                wekiwis Level 1

Thanks a bunch Dave.

I was impatient and called adobe before i got any email from them. The guy  helped me through the masking thing and I got my object isolated on black so that is all good. The program worked perfectly for him when he took over my PC and it seems to be working okay now that he has gone as well. This PC along with my printer, cell phone and digital camera are going to kill me with frustration soon I am sure. I don't seem to be able to get my head around the whole workings of these electronic machines. Oh well, I used to have son who could help me but he moved across the Pacific to the USA and is a little too far away now to have him come help me. I blame it on age but then I watch others close to my age working their smart phones and I have to wonder lol.

Have a good one,

Colin

• 5. Re: New to photoshop cc coming from elements 6 [How do I color my background?]
                  davescm Adobe Community Professional

Glad you got sorted Colin. Post again if you get stuck.

Dave