• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Compressor-Limiter for Broadcast

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The broadcast specs for our finished products require audio at -12Db. We had a great system with PP2016 where we had a compressor on Ch. 1&2 (where our voice tracks lived) and a limiter on the master channel of the audio mixer for the sequence. These features were made obsolete with PP2017. We have continued to use them, but it's time to adapt. (Besides, that limiter can be a little buggy.) What do you suggest? I have gone through the current plug-ins and nothing seems to work as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a fan of mixing manually while using the Loudness Radar, found under Special in the Track Mixer effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit to that audio spec for broadcast as well. I mix manually but use the Hard Limiter set to -12 on the master 1&2 tracks:

Dropbox - limiter.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another good option.

As with everything in TV we're always in a time crunch and those obsolete plug-ins literally saved us HOURS.

What about compression for voice tracks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When the edit is locked, I send to Audition to EQ and compress VO and dialogue tracks. There I use Parametric Equalizer and Tube-modeled Compressor (there are tons of other options).

But where Audition really shines is its stretch tool, where you can change speed by dragging the upper right/left triangles of a clip Dropbox - audio_stretch.jpg. This is especially useful when I place the final VO over the scratch track and need to do small timing changes. Premiere's Clip Speed tool doesn't maintain audio quality, Audition's does and is much easier to use.

I then export the individual tracks as wavs and lay them back in the Premiere timeline, where I do the final audio mix. It's maybe a clunky workflow, but because Edit in Adobe Audition sends the timeline to Audition so quickly, it works well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines