All -- I've got a few scenarios that I'm trying to wrap my head around with the new Lightroom CC. I've read most of the FAQs that I can find, and many forum threads, and there are still a few things that I don't understand about how the new Lightroom CC and Classic CC work and sync together -- hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can help me out!
- Migrated Collection Scenario
- After many trials and errors, I think I've finally be able to migrate my Lightroom Classic catalog to the Lightroom CC cloud (it involved deleting most of my catalog, reorganizing it completely into collections, then trying about 3 times to get it to upload without getting hung or have too many errors).
- In this scenario, I have about 3000 photos from New Zealand that I'm working through and editing. The were in my LR Classic collection, have now been migrated to Lightroom CC, are set to Sync in LR Classic, and I want to finish editing photos from that trip. I plan to do my editing in Lightroom Classic because it's a better tool and I have the follow questions:
- Since I've got the photos in LR Classic set to sync, if I make edits in Classic, will they automatically be synced to the LR CC library? I had read somewhere that only Smart Previews are synced? Are the actual edits not synced to the cloud? What if I want to tweak or export a photo from my laptop (so I would be accessing via cloud in LR CC) -- do I actually have access to the RAW image and my LR Classic edits applied to it? Or are they only on my desktop with just the smart preview in the cloud library? If it only uploads a smart preview when I did that catalog migration, does that mean I have to keep the original RAW in the same place on my desktop forever because it's not in the LR cloud?
- I've read that the geotagging does not sync to LR CC -- I'm not sure if I fully understand what that means. Does it just mean that LR CC doesn't have the "map" panel from LR Classic? Or does it mean that the Adobe LR CC cloud does not support that metadata field at all and strips it? E.g., if I look at the metadata from a photo in the LR CC library, does it not have lat/long data at all? If I export a photo from LR CC, will it include that geotagged data, even if LR CC doesn't support it itself?
- New shoot, while on the road, Scenario
- I have a nice desktop set up in my home with a beefier computer and calibrated monitor; so I prefer to do my editing there. That said, I often shoot away from home and was originally interested in the new LR CC with the idea of getting started while on the road and having a more seamless transition when I return home with the desktop
- In this scenario, I shoot a couple cards of photos while on the road. I get back to my hotel and then I import them from my laptop using LR CC (right? Isn't it recommended to import directly into LR CC as opposed to Classic first?). While on the laptop in the hotel, I do some first pass culling of the photos, and maybe start editing a few.
- When I get back home to my desktop and fire up LR Classic CC to start editing them, should I expect to see these photos in my synced collections? Or do I need to "look" from them in my LR CC library somehow before I can start editing them in LR Classic?
- When I make an edit in LR Classic, it will be automatically synced back to the cloud right? So that I can see that edited photo in either LR Classic or LR CC?
- When I want to export a photo to a JPG to get printed or share with a friend, can I do it from either program? Or is there a "preferred" way to export those photos?
I know it's a lot of questions -- I'll really appreciate any insight you folks can share with me!