3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2018 8:02 PM by anissa_thompson

"Could not complete your request. File is locked"

grahamc62789647 Level 1

Hi.

I'm using the really old Macromedia Fireworks 4 (it does what I need!). It has been running just fine on my Windows 10 PC up until maybe a couple of months ago. I can open and view files ok. I can also edit them ok. However when I try and save the file all I now get is this error:

"Could not complete your request. File is locked"

The files are definitely not read-only.

I've tried searching the web for answers but nothing I've tried has worked so far. Not sure what else to try. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Graham.

• 1. Re: "Could not complete your request. File is locked"
          anissa_thompson Adobe Community Professional

I used to get the same message whenever I had previously viewed the file using the Windows File Explorer, Internet Explorer or both... for some reason, it would hold the image in cache, forcing the system to put it into a "protective" mode to prevent overwriting.

My quick workaround was to Select All, Copy, and then Save all layers and objects to a new temporary FW file with a different name (i.e. filename.recovery.fw.png). After you should be able to open and compare to make sure everything is good, then clear browsers' cache and trash, restart the computer, and confirm your new file is intact.

• 2. Re: "Could not complete your request. File is locked"
            grahamc62789647 Level 1

Thanks anissa_thompson. I’ll give it a try. It gives the same error though if I’m creating a new file - just won’t let me save it.

• 3. Re: "Could not complete your request. File is locked"
              anissa_thompson Adobe Community Professional

@grahamc62789647, I've had to do the following at various times with applications like Fireworks, Photoshop, and Animate (and even Word):

• Create a new document with the same dimensions as the original, and copy/paste all layers in (this worked better with symbols).
              • Duplicate the original file and save with a completely unrelated name in a different location.
              • Double check and ensure that I didn't have embedded/placed/linked files within my working file that may be convoluting the save process.
              • And last but not least: "Simply close the Fireworks program and click 'yes' to the Save prompts".