Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two languages, one document.

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!

I am setting up my CV, and I need to have it in two languages – Italian and English – without using two separated documents at a time. I am mostly using Paragraph and Character Styles, no Sections, Structures or any other tool whatsoever.

Is it possible to generate two PDFs, each in its own language, from the same source file? Is working with conditional text a feasible solution?

Over the internet, I found a lot of tips about working with XML and external translators. But this has nothing to do with translation, which I do on my own...

What can I do?

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> without using two separated documents at a time.

Why not?

Use it alternative layout feature (two and more documents in one .indd)

Liquid and alternate layouts in InDesign

>> Is it possible to generate two PDFs, each in its own language, from the same source file?

Answer yes if you will use alternate layouts (it will be in one indd by the fact).

In other way - you can work with layers. One language on the one layer, second language on the other.

>> conditional text a feasible solution

You can try, but IMHO this feature is for some changes in one layout not for changing all the text

See the my old video about it - Как работает conditional text в Indesign. - YouTube

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me, you’re looking for over-engineered solution for what is a simple few page PDF document that’s in two languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That title …its the Adobe-version of Two Girls One Cup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La lingua è impostata direttamente dallo stile paragrafo. Quindi puoi facilmente creare due set separati impostando la lingua desiderata ed assegnarla al testo in quella lingua.
Ho gestito anche manuali bilingue in questo modo.

In questo caso il testo condizionale finirebbe con il complicarti solo la vita. Meglio creare più pagine e poi esportare il pdf delle singole pagine che ti servono.

Essendo un CV puoi gestire anche un unico file, nel caso invece vengano fuori più pagine io ti consiglio di usare documenti indd distinti per ogni lingua. Meno rischi di creare il caos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Finalmente una risposta chiara e pertinente!

Il problema dell'eventuale assegnazione della lingua per l'ortografia è secondario.

È comunque un CV di più pagine, quindi penso manterrò documenti distinti. Dici che per sincronizzare gli stili mi conviene impostarlo come libro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Io semplicemente compilerei il CV in italiano fin nei minimi dettagli.

Quindi salverei con nome e modificherei gli stili impostando la lingua per quindi procedere alla traduzione.

Se fai modiche agli stili in quello in italiano basta aprire quello in inglese, importare gli stili e ri-modificare la lingua.

A volte le soluzioni più semplici sono anche le più pratiche.

L'opzione "libro" serve per allineare gli stili, ma nel tuo caso avresti due file con stili diversi (lingua).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan:

I agree with the concept that the simplest solutions are the most practical, and with the advice already offered on this thread.

But to address the original question—Is it possible to generate two PDFs, each in its own language, from the same source file? Is working with conditional text a feasible solution?—yes, you could use conditional text for this. But you can likely accomplish the same thing with just layers in your CV, which you probably already know how to use. Create three layers: one for data that is part of both versions (i.e., your name and address, perhaps a photo), an English layer for the English CV and an Italian layer for the Italian CV. Use the eyeballs to hide/show the contents.

The benefit of condition tags is that you can assign them to text strings within a longer text thread, whereas layers would work when you want to show/hide the entire text thread.

For others reading this later looking to create different types of multi-language documents, note that .psd files and .ai files can also have language layers. They don't respond to the InDesign layer visibility commands, but you can control layer visibility for each layered graphic with Object > Object Layer Options, making this a viable workflow for short multi-language docs like postcards, etc.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb, I always forget the use of layers to keep texts separated.

I always use anchored object to keep images near the referring text so I tend to never use layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I did for a small book.

Created the book in English, making sure that all of the text was a single story and using anchored frames for every graphic. Make sure everything will "flow." This was all done on the "English-USA" layer. My translators just duplicated the layer and replaced the text in the new story. All the graphics (referenced) duplicated as well, anything that needed translation is a copy with a new file name. Layers on the Master pages too.

When I got everything back, just show the correct layer, check the layout, and create a PDF.

For small documents (<20 pages) It's a nice way to keep everything together. For the big books, separate files.

tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another benefit of using layers--you can create a couple of interactive buttons to allow the users to hide/show the language layers themselves.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many print service providers have workflow software that is setup to leverage versioning via PDF layers (optional content groups), so it can often be good to contact the folk downstream to see how this may affect the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines