• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Certain font from InDesign printing jumbled text.

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to print Roboto Slab out of InDesign and it continues to print with errors. (See photo reference). It looks fine one screen but doesn't print properly. When I print the same font out of Illustrator it prints fine. Same error if printed from a PDF.

I was originally working from a file that I thought was corrupt. When I made a fresh InDesign file and tested the font in there is was OK. But then when I tried it again, it did this faulty printing.

I've already tried deleting and reinstalling the font and shutting down/restarting my computer, multiple times.

Has anyone seen this before or have an idea of what's going on?

robotoslaberror.jpg

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

It all depends on the driver that you install for the printer. The Xerox Phaser printers (at least the high end professional ones such as you have) support both Adobe Postscript 3 and emulation of HP's PCL.

You might want to delete and reinstall the printer on your Mac, downloading the latest PostScript driver from Xerox's website. This would ascertain that you are in fact printing to PostScript and that you have the latest compatible driver for your system.

Let us know if that resolves the proble

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What platform? (Windows? MacOS?)

What type of printer (PostScript, PCL, other?)

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on macOS Sierra and the printer I'm working from is a Xerox Phaser 7760.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you printing to the Phaser's PostScript interpreter or PCL interpreter?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is PostScript. Is there a way I can tell for sure? It is a color printer.

We have a black and white printer in our office too, a Brother HL 5370-DW that the font prints fine from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on the driver that you install for the printer. The Xerox Phaser printers (at least the high end professional ones such as you have) support both Adobe Postscript 3 and emulation of HP's PCL.

You might want to delete and reinstall the printer on your Mac, downloading the latest PostScript driver from Xerox's website. This would ascertain that you are in fact printing to PostScript and that you have the latest compatible driver for your system.

Let us know if that resolves the problem. Otherwise, if you can post a sample PDF file and send the link to me via the forum's private message feature, I can try printing to a Xerox Phaser 7500 in my own office from my Mac and see if I can reproduce the problem.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov! I'll give that a try. We decided to go with a different font for the time being. But it sounds like your solution maybe the answer. Will let you know. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems like you're encountering a frustrating issue with printing the Roboto Slab font from Adobe InDesign. The fact that the font appears fine on screen but doesn't print properly indicates that there might be a compatibility or rendering issue between InDesign and the Roboto Slab font. The fact that it prints correctly from Illustrator and has the same error when printed from a PDF suggests that the issue might be with how InDesign is handling the font.

Here are a few steps you can consider taking to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Check Font Embedding: Make sure that the font is properly embedded in your InDesign document. If the font isn't embedded or is only partially embedded, it might lead to printing errors. In InDesign, go to "File" > "Adobe PDF Presets" > "High Quality Print" (or another suitable preset) and ensure that the "Embed Fonts" option is selected.

2. Update Software: Ensure that you're using the latest version of Adobe InDesign. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements that could potentially resolve printing issues.

3. Export as PDF: Since you mentioned that the same error occurs when printing from a PDF, try exporting your InDesign document as a PDF and then printing the PDF. Sometimes, issues with direct printing can be circumvented by using a PDF format.

4. Check Font License: Verify that you have a valid and appropriate license for the Roboto Slab font. Some font licenses have restrictions on usage, embedding, and printing.

5. Font Cache: Font cache corruption could sometimes cause printing issues. You can try clearing your font cache. The method to do this can vary depending on your operating system. For Windows, you might need to use third-party tools. For macOS, you can usually clear the font cache by booting into Safe Mode.

6. Printer Settings: Double-check your printer settings within InDesign and ensure that they are properly configured. Sometimes, adjusting settings like color management, resolution, or paper type can help resolve printing problems.

7. Export in Different Formats: If the issue persists, try exporting your InDesign document in different formats (such as EPS or TIFF) and then printing from those formats to see if the problem persists.

8. Contact Support: If none of the above steps work, consider reaching out to Adobe Support or the support resources of the font provider. They might have encountered similar issues and could provide specific guidance.

Remember to make backups of your files before trying any major changes to avoid losing your work. It's also a good practice to perform these troubleshooting steps one at a time to identify the specific cause of the issue.

Lastly, if others have experienced a similar problem and have found a solution, it might be helpful to check relevant online forums, Adobe user groups, or design communities for insights.https://justinfinixmobile.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines