2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 11:39 AM by tianag

Insert an animated GIF into an existing PSD

tianag

Hi all

I have a GIF that I need to place into an existing PSD. Currently I have an image on that layer. How would I go about doing this? I've tried opening the GIF in a seperate Photoshop file, then copying and pasting the frames, but it doesn't overlay - it just replaces my existing layers. Any help much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Insert an animated GIF into an existing PSD
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You can have a PSD Photoshop document that has a frame animation timeline and  save our a animated Gif the is not such that as and animated gif in a layer document.  There are layers and timelines Frame animation or video animation.   Photoshop is a Photoshop Document editor not a file editor.    If you Place in an Animated Gif into a layerd document it will be a smart object layer the is not animated.  You could open the source document for the animated gif or the animated Gif  in Photoshop then drag in all the required layer or all the frame layers in the opened animated gif document into your layers document and create a new frame animation.

Capture.jpgCloudLogo2.gif

• 2. Re: Insert an animated GIF into an existing PSD
            tianag Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I ended up just doing it in After Effects - I couldn't get it to work in photoshop. Thanks anyway!