• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to resize artboard in Adobe illustrator so that all layers would change together?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am new to Adobe Illustrator. I made a poster with it in for A0 paper size at 841 × 1189 millimeters or 33.11 × 46.81 inches. I would like to make the same poster as A3, A4 also but I can´t. When I resize the original then it only changes 1st layer / artboard. All other 4 layers remain large.

Do I have to drag everything to place manually for each resizing?

Is there a way to do it all at the same time with one click?

Is there a way to save finished artboard in different sizes in the beginning so that resizing is not needed?

Thank you so much for your help.

BR,

Liis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

If it is just to "resize" the poster, so that you have a true A4, create a new Illustrator file with an A4 art-board. Place the original Illustrator (linked) and size as required.

Each time you make a change to the A0 poster, and you open afterwards the A4 (or A3) poster, the placed Illustrator file gets updated.

And as you can have many art-boards in one file, you can make many sizes in one file.

I use that technique when doing exposition panels and the people also want this printed as A4 paper sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could jsut group it scale it and copy to new artboards, but i'd probably make sure you have enough bleed to cater for all the sizes, then output a pdf and place that into a new document on the artboards at various sizes, or into an InDesign doc for the different page sizes and output again to pdf.

you can always go back to the original and output again with any amendments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dio not need to output to PDF first. Place the Illustrator file and you're done.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, I guess i go the pdf route, as I usually have pdf compatibility turned off in my ai files for anything complicated, as its slows down my workflow more than the export to pdf just when you want to update. Maybe a new computer would fix that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. create the artboards which you need using Artboard tool.

2. Select your artwork. You can "draw a rectangle" around your artwork by Selection Tool0001.jpg

or open the Layers panel and select all layers there

0002.jpg

Click on the cells to the right to the circles. All selected layers will move, scale etc. together.

Move them keeping ALT button pressed to copy. Scale as you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is just to "resize" the poster, so that you have a true A4, create a new Illustrator file with an A4 art-board. Place the original Illustrator (linked) and size as required.

Each time you make a change to the A0 poster, and you open afterwards the A4 (or A3) poster, the placed Illustrator file gets updated.

And as you can have many art-boards in one file, you can make many sizes in one file.

I use that technique when doing exposition panels and the people also want this printed as A4 paper sheets. To pass on to the printer a nice PDF, sized to the print size, I link my original file(s) and scale to size (with corresponding bleed and what else is required). This makes the inevitable last minute changes work without to much stress.

For those literate in Indesign: It works the same. You can place Indesign files and Illustrator files as you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also a possibility to create symbols (windows->symbols). But that will flatten your layers.

And it is thought to be used for other purposes. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Two issues with your video: 1. it solves a problem in an older version using functions of the newer version. 2. If there is artwork at the edges of the artboard that gets overlapped by your (then) bigger artboards, you will create an utter chaos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines