Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flagging and Reviewing Skipped Questions in Captivate 9

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I have researched this to the point of exhaustion and have not found an answer, so please forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere in this forum. I would like learners to be able to skip a question and then come back to the unanswered questions later. I am new to Captivate, but am aware of the Skip setting. What's missing for me with that is a way to be able to flag all unanswered questions with some type of text or symbol. Also to remind learners that there are unanswered questions when they submit so that, if they so choose, they can go back and quickly locate the unanswered questions. It seems to me that what I am asking for is a hybrid between Skip and Submit All, combined with visual hints. Is this actually "a thing" or am I wishful thinking.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are using Submit All (which has all questions submitted at the same time by clicking one of the Submit All buttons) the user will be submitting each individual quiz question one at a time.  Captivate doesn't currently have any default option that is somewhere in between these two methods.

The problem with allowing the user to skip quiz questions using the default Skip button is that clicking this button doesn't give you any easy way to record data about which quiz questions were skipped so that you could potentially inform the user before they reached the Quiz Result slide.  The default Skip button triggers an immediate jump to the next slide.  Quiz questions only offer three events that you can use to trigger actions. 

One is the On Slide Enter event.  But at that point you don't know if the user will skip answering the slide or not.  The On Success event is only triggered if the user correctly answered the question.  And the On Last Attempt event is only fired if the user has attempted answers but failed all allowed attempts.  So there is no event triggered when the learner chooses to Skip the question via the default Skip button provided for quiz questions.

So the only real option left to you is to turn off the default Skip button (in the Quiz settings for each question) and instead insert a Smart Shape button that looks similar.  This gives you the option to trigger an Advanced Action when that button is clicked that not only moves to the next question but also saves data to a User Variable that tracks whether or not that quiz question was skipped.  This then allows you the option of having another Conditional Advanced Action on a slide just before the Quiz Result slide that would check whether all questions have been answered and then tell the user which ones they need to go back to. 

But in all honesty, even though this is technically possible with Captivate functionality, I wouldn't really see it as worth the trouble.  In my own courses I never give the users an option to skip quiz questions.  I remove the skip buttons from each question and turn on the option to display an Incomplete feedback caption if they make any attempt to navigate away from the question without answering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please have a look at this blog post:

Custom Review - Captivate blog

I think the custom review slide could be used to add another state 'Skipped'. To see if a question has been skipped, you can use the quizzing system variable cpQuizInfoAnswerChoice. That variable remains empty when a question has been skipped, and you can use the On Enter action of the following slide to set the state to Skipped on the custom review slide. Of course you'll have to provide a way of navigating back. The answered questions will remain blocked, but I suspect the learner can answer the skipped questions. Do you want me to explore that path? Maybe another blog post, but it will be in the weekend, am on an accountancy deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

I am needing help with something similar.  Here's what I am trying to do and my set up.

I have a quiz of 54 MC/TF questions. I want them to answer all 54 questions. However, I allow them to go forward without answering, as well as the ability to go back and change their answers. I use the Answer All and Submit All function in settings to accomplish this task. Because I allow them to go forward I use a shape as a next button and the default back button. I've placed the Submit All button in a location (hopefully) the user doesn't accidentally click and prematurely complete the quiz.

When I reach slide 54, I receive a pop up saying not all of my questions were complete, (the pop up is desired/intended), but instead of clicking back through 50+ question slides to find the one(s) I "missed" is there a way to display them on the custom review slide?

I have read the blog post you linked in your previous response to the original poster. However, I do not want to display whether the questions were correct/incorrect on the custom review slide nor do I want to provide them the correct answer. We also don't allow multiple attempts/retake quiz options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a way, because with Submit All, the answers are transferred all at once when the button 'Submit All' is clicked. There is no way to check quizzing system variables which are populated after each question if you use the normal quiz workflow, since they will not be used in this scenario.

There may be a way without the system variables, but it would mean a lot of hours of experimenting for me, sorry, do not have time for that at this moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Lilybiri. I see your answer is now 3 years old regarding skipped and unanswered quiz questions. Since then, have any new Cp 2019 releases solved this issue? Issue: We want to identify or mark ONLY the skipped and unanswered questions. We do not want to click through each question looking for a blank (see System Variable titled "cpQuizInfoTotalUnansweredQuestions"). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nothing has changed since 3 years, which means in CP2019.

The system variable you are referring to exists since many versions, it only gives you the total number of those unanswered questions, but that is not helpful to identify the unanswered questions at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources