2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2008 10:31 AM by MarkBook

Field text disappears!

MarkBook
      I have authored several applications with Macromedia Director MX (Mac version), then upgraded them to MX 2004, and now upgraded them again to Director 11. Suddenly a new "bug" is occurring. Whether running a projector or a shockwave version of one of these applications, when entering text into a field, the characters in ALL text fields suddenly become "invisible." Apparently the fields still contain the text, as I can click a button to copy the information to the computer's clipboard and it copies intact, but you cannot see the characters in the fields themselves!

By experimenting, I have discovered that this happens when I try to place an "accent" (option-e) on the second character in a field. It does not happen if the character is unaccented. Neither does it happen if I place an accent on the first character or a character further down the string. It happens with both Leopard and Tiger OS X. It also happens when using different keyboard layouts.

Once this has happened, re-opening the shockwave version does not "reset" the fields: their characters remain invisible until I restart the browser. The same thing occurs with different browsers (Safari and iCab, for example). Since it also happens with the projector version, I doubt it is a problem with the browser.

ANY HELP in eliminating this problem will be highly appreciated! (I have to admit that I am very discouraged to find so many bugs with Director 11. There have been many others --but I won't go into them now.)

• 1. Re: Field text disappears!
          Level 7
          I have also run into this bug.

In my efforts to recreate, it happens fairly consistently if there are
          multiple hyperlinks in the text field. If I click a couple near the bottom
          of the text field, the hyperlink and roll die, but the ones higher in the
          page function as expected. Further clicking on the still working links cause
          all of the text from the clicked link on to disappear.

I have also been able to get this to happen by going to a new frame,
          clicking a hyperlink once, and have all of the text after the link
          disappear, but that does not happen very often.

I can confirm that I don't have any accent characters in my textfield, so
          while that might solve your issue, it isn't the heart of the matter.

This happens on both the Mac OS and Windows XP.

I read elsewhere that someone has found that this happens only with the
          Verdana font, which is the one I have been using. I will try changing fonts
          on Monday to see if this fixes the issue.

"iMarkG4" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g3u270$ak6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have authored several applications with Macromedia Director MX (Mac
          >version),
          > then upgraded them to MX 2004, and now upgraded them again to Director 11.
          > Suddenly a new "bug" is occurring. Whether running a projector or a
          > shockwave
          > version of one of these applications, when entering text into a field, the
          > characters in ALL text fields suddenly become "invisible." Apparently the
          > fields still contain the text, as I can click a button to copy the
          > information
          > to the computer's clipboard and it copies intact, but you cannot see the
          > characters in the fields themselves!
          >
          > By experimenting, I have discovered that this happens when I try to place
          > an
          > "accent" (option-e) on the second character in a field. It does not happen
          > if
          > the character is unaccented. Neither does it happen if I place an accent
          > on the
          > first character or a character further down the string. It happens with
          > both
          > Leopard and Tiger OS X. It also happens when using different keyboard
          > layouts.
          >
          > Once this has happened, re-opening the shockwave version does not "reset"
          > the
          > fields: their characters remain invisible until I restart the browser. The
          > same
          > thing occurs with different browsers (Safari and iCab, for example). Since
          > it
          > also happens with the projector version, I doubt it is a problem with the
          > browser.
          >
          > ANY HELP in eliminating this problem will be highly appreciated! (I have
          > to
          > admit that I am very discouraged to find so many bugs with Director 11.
          > There
          > have been many others --but I won't go into them now.)
          >
          >
          >

• 2. Re: Field text disappears!
            MarkBook Level 1
            I have done more experimentation to narrow down the "bug."

In my case, I do not have any hyperlinks in my text fields. The problem only occurs if the first letter I enter is upper-case (but not lower-case) and then I try to put a diacritical mark (accents, tildes, etc.) on the second character. Exactly which characters I enter does not matter. I have yet to encounter this problem with any other keystroke combination at any other location in the string. And the oddest thing is that the text doesn't just disappear in the targeted field, but in all others in the file! Just plain weird.

Since my projectors and shockwave files are in Spanish, the "bug" could prove problematic. I have had to go back to MX 2004 on an old iMac G4 to produce a workable version of one of my projectors. I would loathe to have to resort to that soution for all the rest! It is hard to believe that I have paid hundreds of dollars for this upgrade to Director 11, just so that I could continue to develop my programs on a new Intel Mac, only to have these kinds of bugs undermine my efforts!

And the icing on the cake is that the shockwave files will no longer work with either the plug-in 10 or 11 on older Power PC Macs!

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with Adobe.