4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 8:51 AM by Touranty

export to website

lenaddison
      I have just created some buttons for my website.

I have used the export wizard and uploaded the images to my webspace, but I have to change the like to where the image is stored.

1. Can this be done automatically so I dont have to hunt throught the html code and change it all manually.
      2. The heading labled PRODUCT is not very good quality, why is that?

Hope you can help as I am new to fireworks

The code is attached

your advice is apprecitated

Thanks

• 1. Re: export to website
          pixlor Level 4
          quote:

Originally posted by: lenaddison
          I have just created some buttons for my website.

I have used the export wizard and uploaded the images to my webspace, but I have to change the like to where the image is stored.

1. Can this be done automatically so I dont have to hunt throught the html code and change it all manually.
          2. The heading labled PRODUCT is not very good quality, why is that?

Hope you can help as I am new to fireworks

The code is attached

your advice is apprecitated

Thanks

1) Looking at your code, you probably should do this manually, just so you learn what you're doing. For example, here's one of your file names:
          file:///C|/Users/Leonard/Desktop/40 winks/product table/products_table_r1_c1.jpg
          a) If you name your slice, then you will get the names you expect, not names that end in the messy row and column designation (_r1_c1).
          b) Spaces are not allowed characters in URLs so if you have any in your file or folder names, they are encoded. The space character becomes %20. If you want to have cleaner, more readable names in your URLs, either delete the spaces in your file names or replace them with hyphens or underscores.
          c) The reference here is to a local file on your desktop, not to a Web page (file:///C|/Users/Leonard/Desktop/). You need either an absolute reference that starts with the HyperText Transport Protocol prefix ( http://) and your domain name, and then be followed with the folder where the file is located and the file name, or a relative reference, which gives directions from the current file. Er...
          c2) It is very common practice for Web developers to put navigation images in a folder named "images." If you named your slices and moved the sliced images into an "images" folder, then an HTML file at the top level of your Web site might reference to an image with the word "Products" on it as images/products.jpg.

You might want to check out some HTML tutorials or even get a book, so you know what you're doing.
          This one has a friendly tone, although it has lots of ads: Page Tutor (Check out Lesson 10 on images.)
          These two look pretty good, too:
          HTML Code Tutorial
          W3Schools
          For a book, I like this one
          HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition (Visual Quickstart Guide) by Elizabeth Castro
          It covers everything in small chunks and is light enough to carry around and read.

2) If your image doesn't have very good quality, then it's probably because you didn't choose the best parameters for exporting the image. I see you saved it as a .jpg. If you have single color text on a solid background and used the default quality level of 80, then you probably have a number of JPEG artifacts. Try the .gif format. If you have a gradient or photographic background, try increasing the quality level to the upper 90s.
          • 2. Re: export to website
            thegendreamer Level 1
            good advice which i needed too
            • 3. Re: export to website
              Juno41
              It’s always worth using the ‘4-up’ preview on the Firework pane to select the best export options in terms of load time and quality (ref Lorraine). I would also re-save and re-export to the correct location on your website, this can save time and reduce errors in automatically exporting to the wrong location if futures changes are made to the png file.

Hope this helps
              Altum
              • 4. Re: export to website
                Touranty Level 1
                Good info