6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2018 3:45 AM by dj_paige

Suddenly, Lightroom cc catalog shows no files in many of my folders.

DaveFrankel Level 1

Hello, running win 7 at home. Recently upgraded to Lr classic cc with no issues. I have several hard drives with 1000's of dng files neatly organized with the help of LR.

Suddenly, within the last few days, the image count in most of the folders on one of my drives shows "0" when viewing the library modual, the folder names are greyed out and most importantly I cannot view any of the images in these folders using LR. The files are still easily accessible in explorer. I have tried updating folder locations. "No files found" is the result. I have tried "find missing files" even though there is no preview with a question mark. I have tried importing files from the folders to cataloge. Previews are greyed out as if "dont import suspected dulpicates" is selected , but it isn't. Same when I tried importing to and from the same folder. I tried "synchronize folder". I can even see all of the files in Adobe bridge, but LR refuses to acknowledge their existence. The affected drive is a fairly new seagate 4tb external. My catalog is located on my main partition drive and has ample, 500 gb, free space.

thank you for your time!

Message was edited by: dave frankel

• 1. Re: Suddenly, Lightroom cc catalog shows no files in many of my folders.
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Check to see if Windows has changed the drive letter for your external drive. This is common for drive letters less than "L".

If that is the case, you can you the drive manager to change the drive letter back to the expected one, or use the LR "find missing folder" process to point LR to the new drive letter.

Also check to see if the drive has any power saving modes that might be putting the drive to "sleep".

• 2. Re: Suddenly, Lightroom cc catalog shows no files in many of my folders.
            dj_paige Level 10

DaveFrankel  wrote

Hello, running win 7 at home. Recently upgraded to Lr classic cc with no issues. I have several hard drives with 1000's of dng files neatly organized with the help of LR.

Suddenly, within the last few days, the image count in most of the folders on one of my drives shows "0" when viewing the library modual, the folder names are greyed out and most importantly I cannot view any of the images in these folders using LR. The files are still easily accessible in explorer. I have tried updating folder locations. "No files found" is the result. I have tried "find missing files" even though there is no preview with a question mark. I have tried importing files from the folders to cataloge. Previews are greyed out as if "dont import suspected dulpicates" is selected , but it isn't. Same when I tried importing to and from the same folder. I tried "synchronize folder". I can even see all of the files in Adobe bridge, but LR refuses to acknowledge their existence. The affected drive is a fairly new seagate 4tb external. My catalog is located on my main partition drive and has ample, 500 gb, free space.

The reason previews are greyed out, and Synchronizing doesn't do anything, is because the photos are already in your Lightroom catalog. So, importing and synchronizing are the WRONG thing to do here.

What has most likely happened is that you have accidentally imported the photos using the COPY option, and so Lightroom thinks the photos are in a different folder than you think they are in. You need to search for the photos in your Library Module, by first clicking on All Photographs, and then doing a search by file name for one of those photos. When you find them, you will be able to perform any Lightroom action on them.

Repeating what I said before, for emphasis:

importing and synchronizing are the WRONG thing to do here.

• 3. Re: Suddenly, Lightroom cc catalog shows no files in many of my folders.
              DaveFrankel Level 1

Thank you! Loud and clear on what not to do 

However, The folders didn’t use to be greyed out and I cant imagine I accidently went back (?) and re (?)imported using the copy option . Regardless of how they got there I would like to have the folders “not greyed out”. Is there a procedure I can use to select a whole folder and bring it and it’s contents back from the “Grey Zone”?

Thanks again!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Suddenly, Lightroom cc catalog shows no files in many of my folders.
                DaveFrankel Level 1

Thank you Maniac Joe, Drive letter has not changed and drive doesn't sleep unless computer is shut down. I can locate the files in explorer. When I go through the Missing Files operation in LR, I arrive at the destination folder and, " no files found" thumbs it's nose at me!

• 5. Re: Suddenly, Lightroom cc catalog shows no files in many of my folders.
                  DaveFrankel Level 1

Correction; I can't perform missing photos function as there are no photos in the greyed out folder. I have tried "update folder location"...When I "Select Folder", the menu closes and nothing happens.

• 6. Re: Suddenly, Lightroom cc catalog shows no files in many of my folders.
                    dj_paige Level 10

However, The folders didn’t use to be greyed out and I cant imagine I accidently went back (?) and re (?)imported using the copy option .

Of course, this is not what I said at all. I didn't say you "went back and re-imported", I said you imported (the first time) accidentally into the wrong folder.

What to do? First, you have to find the photos in the Library Module. To do this, you have to follow ALL FOUR of these steps, in order, not one or two of these steps, not the ones you want to follow, but ALL FOUR steps. I say this because you would not believe that sometimes people actually do one or two fo these steps and then tell me they can't find the photos.

1.   In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs

2.   Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)

3.   Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)

4.   Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Once you find them, you can move them into the desired folders.