Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot use magic wand tool and magic lasso tool

Participant ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I want to cut off the white background on this image. I do not know why but I can not use magic wand tool and magic lasso tool.

Could someone please telle me how to do it?

Thanks,

Nico

2018-01-18_192830.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Fundamentally, if raster image edits are needed, you should use an appropriate raster image editing application, e.g., Photoshop, rather than Illustrator.

That said, you could hide the white background in Illustrator by drawing a closed shape surrounding the portion(s) of the image you want to show. Then, select the shape and the image, and choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator the magic wand and the lasso are completely different from the tools in Photoshop.

Have you already read about the tools in the Illustrator help documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ACP,

I never read about that, I am new in Illustrator. I would really appreciate if someone could help me..

Thanks,

Nico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fundamentally, if raster image edits are needed, you should use an appropriate raster image editing application, e.g., Photoshop, rather than Illustrator.

That said, you could hide the white background in Illustrator by drawing a closed shape surrounding the portion(s) of the image you want to show. Then, select the shape and the image, and choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @John Mensinger,

Thank you for your support. I got this error when trying it:

aa2018-01-18_214248.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose the Select tool (black arrow), then type Ctrl/Cmd+A to 'Select All' (as the error message indicates, more than one object must be selected) to select both the image and the drawn shape. Now once again try Object > Clipping Mask > Make...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nicolap,

Please share your file, I will try it my end and share steps.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi srishtib8795206​,

sorry for the late answer, I got it after some tests. Thank you in any case.

Nico

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines