6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2008 4:23 AM by Newsgroup_User

Exporting Slices / xHTML with OCR

SpringTank
      I was wondering, if i would design my website fully with FireWorks CS3. Including my text (system anti alias).. would there be a way to export slices to html, where the slicing would be smart and export my txt via OCR to real text :) while the color background I choose (let's say for this example #ffffff white) would export as the regular website bg color..

Just wondering, it would be seriously cool to have these 2 functions, or maybe there is something similar to what I mean.. thanks!
        • 1. Re: Exporting Slices / xHTML with OCR
          Level 7
          >I was wondering, if i would design my website fully with FireWorks CS3.
          > Including my text (system anti alias)..

Now that you've had that idea, discard it! Consider this approach -

Taking a Fireworks comp to a CSS-based layout in Dreamweaver
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/web_standards_layouts_pt1.html

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"SpringTank" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g4ohau$6jb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I was wondering, if i would design my website fully with FireWorks CS3.
          > Including my text (system anti alias).. would there be a way to export
          > slices
          > to html, where the slicing would be smart and export my txt via OCR to
          > real
          > text :) while the color background I choose (let's say for this example
          > #ffffff
          > white) would export as the regular website bg color..
          >
          > Just wondering, it would be seriously cool to have these 2 functions, or
          > maybe
          > there is something similar to what I mean.. thanks!
          >

• 2. Re: Exporting Slices / xHTML with OCR
            SpringTank Level 1
            Hi Murray,

Thanks for your link, however that article did not mention anything about exporting the text to CSS. It is a plain guide on how to design that file (blue_skies_design.png) included in the tutorial file(s).

Can you elaborate or pinpoint me to the exact guide?

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Exporting Slices / xHTML with OCR
              Level 7
              The link was intended to give you an alternate (an good practice) method for
              using FW to work in conjunction with DW. Your scheme is not workable - that
              means that there is no such way to manage the text in your FW layout.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:g4osqo$hk5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi Murray,
              >
              > Thanks for your link, however that article did not mention anything about
              > exporting the text to CSS. It is a plain guide on how to design that file
              > (blue_skies_design.png) included in the tutorial file(s).
              >
              > Can you elaborate or pinpoint me to the exact guide?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >

• 4. Re: Exporting Slices / xHTML with OCR
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

Originally posted by: SpringTank
                Hi Murray,

Thanks for your link, however that article did not mention anything about exporting the text to CSS. It is a plain guide on how to design that file (blue_skies_design.png) included in the tutorial file(s).

Can you elaborate or pinpoint me to the exact guide?

Thanks!

Fireworks is a Web graphics program that exports sufficient HTML for people to make mock-up sites with. It is not a WYSIWYG HTML editor. It is not even intended to be an HTML editor at all. What you are asking for is that Fireworks not only be a Web graphics tool (and a great one, at that), but also become a smart WYSIWYG HTML editor. Building such a program would be a bad idea for a number of reasons. For three: it would bloat the program, the program would lose its focus and probably not continue to be great Web graphics tool, and Adobe already makes Dreamweaver, which is a great WYSIWYG HTML editor.

Murry's advice is that you discard your idea of asking for the inadvisable/impossible and Instead learn how to convert the prototype-quality HTML that Fireworks writes into good production-level quality HTML with CSS. He pointed you to the first tutorial of three. The last page of Part 1 links to Part 2, but here are all three parts:
                Part 1: Initial design
                Part 2: Mark preparation
                Part 3: Layout and CSS

• 5. Re: Exporting Slices / xHTML with OCR
                  SpringTank Level 1

ok, I understood the 'export with css" option, it's pretty cool and exactly what I needed!

I appreciate your help!

I have 1 more question though regarding this topic :) Is there a way to insert text the way I would see it in the web browser? (for example if I my html text in dreamweaver would be VERDANA Small Size [size 2] - When I try to insert the same text in fireworks [to see how it would look in the design] - the dimensions, and line spacing are not the same. Would you know the best way to test it?

• 6. Re: Exporting Slices / xHTML with OCR
                    Level 7
                    Test it in Dreamweaver, not in FW. FW is a GRAPHICS application, not an
                    HTML authoring application.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

news:g4pvm5$ms1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > ok, I understood the 'export with css" option, it's pretty cool and
                    > exactly
                    > what I needed!
                    >
                    > I appreciate your help!
                    >
                    > I have 1 more question though regarding this topic :) Is there a way to
                    > insert text the way I would see it in the web browser? (for example if I
                    > my
                    > html text in dreamweaver would be VERDANA Small Size [size 2] - When I try
                    > to
                    > insert the same text in fireworks [to see how it would look in the
                    > design] -
                    > the dimensions, and line spacing are not the same. Would you know the best
                    > way
                    > to test it?
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >