5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2018 2:32 AM by D Fosse

Opening files created with Ps CC 2018 WITHOUT 2018

Beachsweeper Level 1

For a short time I was using Ps CC 2018 until I realized it was causing too many problems (for me, Wacom pen primarily) and I gave up and deleted it completely, and then re-installed Ps CC 2017, which is workable.

HOWEVER, I still have dozens of important files that were created using Ps 2018's file format, and now I can't open them! Here's why: the file format has been changed (I presume by my OS, Win 10) from .PSD to .ON1. They no longer are shown in Lr either (as Lr does not recognize such a file format).

For those who use OnOne's program/plug-ins: On1's software can create/use the .psd file format. My habit is to invoke their program as a plug-in from Lr   OR   from Ps... I don't know what was the case for these files; it may have not been the same for all. I think this is why the changed file formats read .ON1 now. (ON1 is not a file format that software uses now; it used to be a format they used in the past to designate presets for earlier versions of one plug-in module.)

So: I have tried manually changing one of these files' format to .PSD , but that didn't open when double-clicked; I tried "Open With" in File Manager and selected the OnOne executable, but not only didn't the file open in that program, it did not display in OnOne's browser, either.

Is there any way I can open these (would then change to another file format, if necessary) WITHOUT downloading Ps 2018...which I am loathe to do, as I have read of it messing up Ps 2017 that is currently installed!

But if I HAVE to download Ps2018 to open these (and then I presume save them in a 'safer' format, like .TIF... and then maybe take them into Ps 2017 and save them in that .PSD form?)... how to best do so and minimize the risk of the newer Ps messing up the older version?

• 1. Re: Opening files created with Ps CC 2018 WITHOUT 2018
          Ronald Keller Level 4

I dont understand why a program would change the file format of a file nor why manually changing the extension didn't work.

Anyway, try the file to open in Photoshop by going to the file menu and choose Open As... Then navigate to such a file and choose PSD as the file format.

Hope this works.

• 2. Re: Opening files created with Ps CC 2018 WITHOUT 2018
            Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Adding to what Ronald said, you should be able to install CC 2018 alongside CC 2017. Plenty of users--especially those who do mission-critical work---do this without problems.

• 3. Re: Opening files created with Ps CC 2018 WITHOUT 2018
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like the root of this is broken file associations. That can happen if you uninstall older Photoshop versions with a new one still installed. The older version takes file associations with it, leaving the new one orphaned.

Uninstall all the Photoshop versions you still have, in reverse version order (newest first). Then reinstall the one you want.

In general, Photoshop should always be installed and uninstalled in the appropriate version order. If you don't it usually works out - but not always. I've had this happen to me once, and since then I always left the old versions installed. If they pile up after a while, I clean everything out and reinstall the latest.

• 4. Re: Opening files created with Ps CC 2018 WITHOUT 2018
                Beachsweeper Level 1

I THINK I recall deleting CC 2018 either FIRST with CC 2017 afterwards,

OR I deleted CC 2018 with NO CC 2017 installed (at that time) on my

computer. But I've had so many problems between

installing/deleting/trying to get 2018 to work, 2017 to work again (as

it did before 2018 was installed) and so on... my mind is fried. Thanks,

Adobe.

Nevertheless...I am TRYING to find a workaround that does not involve

installing CC 2018 at all, preferably. Because at this point I just feel

it's going to mess up CC 2017 which I currently have installed and which

continues to work for me satisfactorily.

Best result: CC 2018 DOES install ok AND it doesn't mess up 2017... I

then open those 'orphaned' files in 2018, change them to some file

format such as .TIF (?), then try opening them up in CC 2017, saving

them in THAT version's .PSD. If all that works, I would like to NOT have

CC 2018 still installed, and delete it... while keeping CC 2017. Which

leaves me with files with .PSD extensions that I can open with CC 2017

(and, I presume -- but I can workaround if not -- OnOne's program). And

open with -- later if it ever gets updated/corrected sufficiently!! --

CC 2018, should I trust that I can then download (again), too.

Does that 'sound like a plan,' fellow users?

And D Fosse, when you advise

>In general, Photoshop should always be installed and uninstalled in

the appropriate version order.>, do you mean install in this order: X,

X1... but delete in THIS order: X1, X?

Opening files created with Ps CC 2018 WITHOUT 2018

created by D Fosse <https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse> in

/Photoshop/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10116038#10116038>

• 5. Re: Opening files created with Ps CC 2018 WITHOUT 2018
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Install 2015 > 2017 > 2018

Uninstall 2018 > 2017 > 2015.

Of course, when installing you can go directly to the one you want without any prior versions. But anything you do install/uninstall should follow this sequence.