• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you open or read Adobe Illustrator S5 Document

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These files were created in older illustrator programs (1997).  I cannot open them now. Any suggestions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

You should be able to still open an older Illustrator file with the current version. My guess is though that your older file which was most likely saved as an eps does not have a suffix after its name which the newer versions of the program require for opening. Try adding .eps to the file name and then try and open it from within the program (use File>Open). If .eps does not work then try using .ai instead. If neither of those suffixes work try .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by "S5 document". 1997, that could be documents in Illustrator 7 or 8 format.

Which version are you now using? Also, can you provide a sample .ai file that you cannot open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kurt:

Currently using Illustrator CS5.  These some of the saved documents ( saved on a Jazz Drive from 1997- 2000 are showing up as Adobe Document S5.  I have attached an .ai extension on some of the files showing up as simpletext and can now read them.

I have placed .ai, .pdf, .eps on the names listed as S5 with no luck.  The Icon next to the file name is a black box with "exec" upper right corner.

Any help would be appreciated.  Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can send one of these files to you but not sure how with this program. Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to use a file sharing site like WeTransfer or Dropbox and post a link here. Was any type of compression scheme used on the Jazz drive or on the files in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No just saved off as uncompressed files. They are all Illustrator files with imbedded photos from Photoshop but not saved as Eps.

My guess is they are now all corrupt as every program I try to open with says unrecognized file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really sure you didn't use an extension such as Disk Doubler that automatically added compression to your files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... some of the files on other disks open fine... also created in Adobe Illustrator / Photoshop.  I am wondering if it has something to do with Font files I no longer have. Thanks for your help.  Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try opening one of the files with a text editor and post a screenshot of the first 20 or so lines of the file? It may give a clue as to what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are showing as S5.  I am currently running Creative Suite 5 Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.  These files were created in an earlier version of Adobe.  I am wondering if the fonts are messing these up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So bottom line is trying to open up Adobe Illustrator 8 with Illustrator 11.  I still have the old program I could reload... but not sure it would run on this current platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show a screenshot of this mysterious "Adobe Document S5"? Is that in the Finder? Where is it?

This sourcecode you're showing doesn't look like an Illustrator document at all. What makes you think that it's an AI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, it’s simple. MMXPR3 at the start.  This file was made with QuarkXPress, and that’s what you need to read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a plug-in for InDesign available from Markzware called Q2ID that can be used to open QuarkXpress documents with InDesign. The conversions are usually good enough to use with a minimum of cleaning up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.  This is a great help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to still open an older Illustrator file with the current version. My guess is though that your older file which was most likely saved as an eps does not have a suffix after its name which the newer versions of the program require for opening. Try adding .eps to the file name and then try and open it from within the program (use File>Open). If .eps does not work then try using .ai instead. If neither of those suffixes work try .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill.  The .ai was the trick.  Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill:

Currently using Illustrator CS5.  These documents ( saved on a Jazz Drive from 1997- 2000 are showing up as Adobe Document S5.  I have attached an .ai extension on some of the files showing up as simpletext and can now read them.

I have placed .ai, .pdf, .eps on the names listed as S5 with no luck.  The Icon next to the file name is a black box with "exec" upper right corner.

As stated earlier I am able to read the simpletext when the .ai is added.  S5 document is another issue.   Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding .txt as a suffix and see if it will open in a text program like simple text if it won’t open through Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines