• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing, uploading and migrating Cloud, LR and LR CC

Participant ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why I bother asking questions here because I never get any answers but hey , I got time to kill so here it is.

I have the photo plan !TB, LR, and LR classic.. I've been uploading for days now but. which should I be using? LR new or LR old to sync? because they are working the not syncing the same. Do I need to use Old to upload everything first or the new to sync everything? They both appear to be uploading but I noticed that the new seems to be migrating. Or should I leave both open?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

FroDar52  wrote

So the main question I still have is, (assuming my assumptions are correct) should I use Classic to upload everything to the Adobe cloud first or, is CC migrating files and uploading them to the cloud? Or should I let them both run at the same time?

A lot of us have asked Adobe to clarify using Classic and CC at the same time. Adobe's official stance is currently that you shouldn't use both at the same time as there are many things that don't sync correctly. That said you can certa

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I think I should clarify something. There is not an old and a new Lightroom. Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC are two separate programs that are both being supported, updated and are moving forward. Lightroom Classic CC is the one that is more centered on having the images based on your computer. Lightroom CC is the new cloud centered application that is designed for those who want everything in the cloud with instant access on all devices. It's impractical to expect them to work "seamlessly" together at this point. You would be smart (in my opinion) to decide which one is going to be more practical for you, and use it as your primary version. Lightroom CC (the new one) doesn't have as many features yet, and will probably take a while before it does. On the other hand, for many users who are primarily interested in getting images shared on the Internet or just doing a quick editing, it is really a tremendous application.

If you are going to move to the new Lightroom CC and use it as your primary version of Lightroom then you would want to sync everything that you have and what you call the "old" Lightroom now, and then from that point on probably just import directly into Lightroom CC. Beyond that, you had probably better get your advice from someone else. Personally, I prefer using Lightroom Classic CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim Hess,

Thanks for replying.

I really didn't clarify myself very well when I typed out the question, and for that I apologize. I was getting frustrated with the whole syncing/uploading process, I guess.

So to expand , I'll mention that I'm a long time LR user, well, since LR3 came out anyway. and I'm very happy with "classic" especially since the CC version is so anemic at this point. (I'm really surprised they haven't added more features yet!)

Anyway,  I've been looking at cloud storage lately and I'm pretty bad when it comes to keywording, albums and folders etc.(and I'm always losing photos) and I also have gotten used to Google photos structure using their free version. So their cloud system seemed like a good fit for me. And when they (Adobe) offered a TB of storage for only 5 bucks more monthly I thought that was a no brainer ($14.99 for CC,Classic,PS and 1 TB). Also, I've found myself using my smartphone much more lately for product photography and being able to upload to the cloud straight from the phone and then have it available on the desktop seemed ideal! (I really don't do much editing on the phone other than using the auto feature in LR mobile) I much prefer using two large calibrated monitors and a Wacom tablet to edit.

I will still be using Classic 99% of the time, and storing on my computer also, but right now I'm still uploading to the cloud and I still have about almost 6000 images to go, I think. Now when I open Classic it starts uploading automatically (at my dismal speed of 1.7 Mbps) and says it has about 5800 left to sync. CC, when I open it starts uploading too but the number is different, usually saying a few hundred less than classic. It also (CC I believe is also migrating files and folders to my external drive (where I assigned it). So what I really am wanting to know is: Is Classic strictly just uploading files (which is what I assume) and, what in tarnation is CC uploading? I do know that the migration file grows when CC is doing whatever its doing. So I'm thinking I need to keep using Classic to upload files, but, I need to open CC to migrate the files it is downloading? But, CC isn't downloading anything according to my task manager, just uploading. So now I'm kinda thinking it (CC) is just taking my files(photos) and removing my folders etc. and transferring all the files in the migration folder without all the keywording and folder structure I've been using, which is fine and is what I'm expecting. Heck, I might get this figured out before I finish typing.

So the main question I still have is, (assuming my assumptions are correct) should I use Classic to upload everything to the Adobe cloud first or, is CC migrating files and uploading them to the cloud? Or should I let them both run at the same time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FroDar52  wrote

A lot of us have asked Adobe to clarify using Classic and CC at the same time. Adobe's official stance is currently that you shouldn't use both at the same time as there are many things that don't sync correctly. That said you can certainly do it just fine (I do it). How you do the upload and sync is a question of your workflow. I use several methods. If I want to be able to edit in Classic quickly, I import in Classic. Throw the images in a syncing collection and Classic will sync smart previews to the cloud (Classic unfortunately and annoyingly will not sync full raw files!!!!).  Because they are only smart previews this sync will be quite fast on normal broadband connections. Then later on, if I really want the full raw in CC, I use the Lightroom CC web interface or Lightroom CC and simply drag the raw originals in. This will upload the raw originals and Lightroom CC will automatically recognize it already has the files as smart previews and simply replace those.

Alternatively, if you don't need to immediately edit in Classic, it is simplest to import in CC, let it take the many hours needed on regular internet connections to upload to the cloud and let those then automatically download to Classic. This can take a long time so this is why I generally prefer the first workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines