2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2018 10:16 AM by D Fosse

Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full.

curtisk40606096

Hey there, I recently renewed my photography plan but I cannot seem to open photoshop.

Upon launching the application I am greeted with this message.

I would change the scratch disks to my e: drive, which has 2 terabytes available, but I am not able to click on anything.

This goes for basically everything on my computer, I am getting messages saying that my c: drive is full, which it is, but I cannot figure out how to change/move things to my e: drive.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full.
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You generally can’t move any system files or apps. You can COPY your own files and delete the original. Whether this helps depends on what your C drive is full of. You need to examine what is using the space, in detail. You could waste time moving thousands of small files for no gain.

• 2. Re: Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full.
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all, run Windows Disk Cleanup. If necessary run several passes, progressively checking more options.

Most of the remaining junk tends to accumulate under your user account. This is where you can really free up space.

Just to start somewhere random, look at you Bridge cache. It can easily grow to tens of gigabytes - and note that previous versions' caches do not get deleted when you uninstall! There are lots of these.

There is an excellent free utility called WinDirStat (google it). Armed with this, you can really clean house. This is a screenshot from my own system - the outlined area is my user account. Expand the folder and you can chase the files down to the last dusty corner:

windirstat.png

The big red blobs to the right are hibernation and pagefile. You can disable hibernation and reclaim all that space - I don't remember how, but I'm sure someone else does.